Active Skin Helper Window?

Graphicool1 14:22 25 May 2009

Hi guys

WinXP SP3
Two things have occured over the past few days, which may or not be connected. It seems to me that they probably are? Neither have I come across before and have been unable to find anything about them on the 'net. The first thing was after I downloaded a program and unpacked the zip, I clicked on a 'read me' txt file. The PC made an error sound and in the pop-up box it said 'Invalid Menu Handle' and I was unable to open it. After further unpacking I came across another txt file, which I could open and read?

The next thing, was when I turned the PC off last night, a box popped up and announced it was the 'Active Skin Helper Window' and said something along the lines that it couldn't shut down, but gave me the option to force a shut down, which I did.

When I turned on today it got to the 'Welcome' screen and a grey pop-up box opened, it was full of blurb and appeared to have things to check and buttons to select. But it flashed on and off so fast, I was unable to do anything. It then went into the desktop and everything appears fine. But then I did a CHKDSK and afterwards it rebooted and the same pop-up flashed by again!? Any ideas.

mrwoowoo 14:52 25 May 2009

I would do a full spyware scan with Malwarebytes or superanti spyware(both free).
Then a full anti virus scan.
You don't say what programme you downloaded but it sounds like a suss one to me.
Also, if you don't need the programme fully uninstall it first.

Graphicool1 14:56 25 May 2009

As I said above I've run 'CHKDSK' and now I've also run 'sfc /scannow' and 'regsvr32 /i shell32.dll' Still no joy. If I could read the pop-up hat flashes by at the 'Welcome' screen I might be able to do something with it.

How can I stop it long enough to read and interact with it?

Sea Urchin 15:10 25 May 2009

If it is spyware them I would suggest you don't want to "interact with it" - you still didn't say which program you downloaded.

Graphicool1 15:18 25 May 2009

Windows Media Encoder Format 9 Series Runtime Setup

Graphicool1 15:52 25 May 2009

After rebooting the PC a couple of times I've managed to see what it says at the top of the pop-up box 'ffdshow campatibilty manager'

MAT ALAN 16:04 25 May 2009

ffdshow is a set of codecs similar to K-Lite so what ever you downloaded first contained these files along with the active skin files which have attached themselves somehow...

only way i see at the moment to be rid of this is to uninstall what ever you downloaded in the first place then do a scan of your PC and manually uninstall all you find...

Graphicool1 16:19 25 May 2009

What I downloaded was 'Windows Essentials Media Codec Pack 2.3c' I have now uninstalled and rebooted and am glad to say my PC is back to normal. Or at least, what passes for normal.

Graphicool1 16:37 25 May 2009

Thanks everyone for your input. :¬]

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?