Activating XP Home Edition

Jim Sadler 20:25 16 Jan 2003
  Jim Sadler 20:25 16 Jan 2003

Can anybody tell me how to activate XP Home over the internet, please? When I click the Activate Windows in either the Start Menu or System Tools all I get is a blue Window with 4 empty boxes in it. It doesn't matter how long I wait online, nothing ever happens.
Jim Sadler

Lú-tzé 20:34 16 Jan 2003

It is possible that your XP is alerady activated.

Do a search for activation in the help section of Windows and it will give you a command to copy / paste into "run". If you are already activated this will tell you. (Sorry I can't be more specific - I don't have XP but had to do that on a laptop which had xp already activated.)

spikeychris 20:35 16 Jan 2003

What happens if you copy and paste this into run

%systemroot%\system32\oobe\msoobe.exe /a

Chris

jazzypop 20:35 16 Jan 2003

Use the Freefone number instead - XP has probably made a wrng assumption about your Internet settings.

Remember, you now have 30(?) days grace to activate.

ams4127 20:36 16 Jan 2003

At a rough guess XP hasn't picked up your modem for some reason. If you can't get it to work, then your XP book which comes with the CD should have a number to ring.

ams4127 20:37 16 Jan 2003

Slowest again!

Lú-tzé 20:39 16 Jan 2003

"oobe/msoobe /a" is the command to type in I think - I am not sure if you need the quotation marks or not - try without, as that is the usual thing.

Jim Sadler 17:17 17 Jan 2003

I'll try them all. Many thanks. Jim Sadler

flecc 19:31 17 Jan 2003

If you have a new PC that came with Windows XP preinstalled and it doesn't prompt you to activate, it will be a system prelocked activation set in the BIOS and you don't need to do anything. This holds good even after using any restore discs supplied.

Jim Sadler 13:29 18 Jan 2003

I installed XP on to a clean hard disk and used NTFS as the file system. I've tried all the suggestions offered previously with no luck. In the HELP section on activating one of the suggestions is to run 'oobe/msoobe/a' as was sugggested previously by Lutze. When I try to do this the message comes up the file cannot be found. I get the same message when I try to find the file on the Windows XP disk. No freephone numbers are supplied to contact Microsoft as nothing on the activation side works, except the reminder telling me how many days I have left to activate. It seems like another of Microsoft's billions of quirks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?