Activate XP after re-install

1933 09:19 30 Aug 2007

2 days ago I purchased a new PC and a copy of XP Home Edition. Following a troubled install I somehow got it to work and went on-line and activated XP. However the next boot caused a message about the BIOS not compliant with ACPI. After discussion with a chum I decided to re-install XP - the problem returned and was found to be a keyboard incompatibility. A new keyboard and all was well apart from the message to Activate XP!! Is there a way of getting rid of this pop-up but XP continuing to work after the 30 days? Many thanks Dave

GANDALF <|:-)> 09:37 30 Aug 2007

Why not just follow the instructions and activate it...you can do it by phone if you prefer.

G

johndrew 09:55 30 Aug 2007

When you activate a file called wpa.dbl is created in WINDOWS\system32. It is worth making a copy of this file as in the event of a re-install it may prevent the need to re-activate with Microsoft. You would need to copy it to its original location to carry out the activation yourself.

You should be aware that this code is based on specific hardware in the PC and only a certain number of changes are allowed before the activation code becomes void. You can find out what these items are for your PC by using xpinfo click here.

Hope this helps.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?