Acronis using C drive temporarily?

silverous 17:17 23 Sep 2006

I bought Acronis True Image 9 following recommendations in the forums.

I'm just getting round to doing my first backup and as I backup my C drive to my shiny new 300GB hard disk, I see my C drive free space dropping.

What's the point of backup software if you need to have masses of space free on the disk you are backing up and when your shiny new disk is entirely empty?

Or have I missed a "temp file area" setting somewhere?

Diemmess 17:56 23 Sep 2006

Imaging software should save the image file at least to a different drive and better to a different HD.
Better of all if the image is saved to an external HD or CDs.

I hope I'm mistaken, but if all 300Gb is devoted to drive C: then you would not be able to restore to C: because the action wipes the entire drive, and hopefully Acronis will not allow this suicidal action.

Diemmess 18:08 23 Sep 2006

If C: occupies all 300Gb then either partiton it to at least one other drive and put the Acronis image there, or why not use your older HD as Drive C: and mount your new disk as a slave.

You can move all the data files to their own folders on the large disk, and keep C: as slim as possible with the O/S and programs that are already installed on there.

GaT7 18:24 23 Sep 2006

Diemmess is right.

I would:

1. Partition the drive (if not already done) into several smaller parts & have C drive (say 15Gb) only for the OS, installed programs, emails, etc.

2. Store ALL data - My Documents, music, pictures, etc - on the other partitions.

3. Create a 'small' partition (say 1Gb) for Internet cache & move this folder in IE properties to this partition (click here).

4. Create another 'small' partition (say 3Gb) for Windows swap file & move it to this partition (see click here & under 'Step 6: For extra credit')

5. Do separate image backups of all the partitions (especially of C) to external HD or CD/DVDs. G

Diemmess 18:40 23 Sep 2006

Re-reading your post......
I now realise you already have the new HD as slave?
If that is so, go back to setting Adonis to backup and look for the Browse button which will allow you to define the path of where to store the image.
You have probably accepted the default which unhelpfully put the image on C:

Make a new folder first on D: with the name "Images" and then you will always know the image is stored there)

Batch 18:43 23 Sep 2006

What do you see as the advantage of moving the swap file to another partition? I don't exactly see why moving it to another partition should improve performance (as your link suggests, but doesn't explain why performance should improve).

It isn't necessary for Acronis, as Acronis ignores the swap file when it creates an image.

Same point really with the Temporary Internet Files, although Acronis will back these up, so I always run CCleaner before creating an image.

GaT7 19:18 23 Sep 2006

"What do you see as the advantage of moving the swap file to another partition?" - as the article explains slightly better performance (putting it on another hard drive is ideal). Another advantage is less disk fragmentation to the OS' partition, & better defragmentation after running the defragmenter tool. For more info click here & under 'DEDICATED SWAP FILE PARTITION'.

"It isn't necessary for Acronis, as Acronis ignores the swap file when it creates an image." - yes, that's right. Points 1-4 were meant for better management/performance of the 300Gb hard drive. I was also thinking a smaller C drive will produce a smaller image file, or won't it?

"Same point really with the Temporary Internet Files...." - Internet cache doesn't usually need backing up, so this again was suggested for lower fragmentation to the C drive.

Some are minor changes for possibly miniscule gain, but as they say, 'every little helps' : ) G

silverous 00:22 24 Sep 2006

I think perhaps my post wasn't clear.

I have C: (internal 300GB drive in my PC)
and F: (USB/Firewire 300GB external drive)

I was using Acronis to create an image backup (archive?) of my C: to the F: when I noticed the C: free space dropping quite a bit. Only seemed to be for a while though, certainly didn't fill it up but made me wonder if it uses temp space on the C: even when backing up to F.

Batch 16:53 24 Sep 2006

Sure, spreading stuff around to separate physical drives should help performance, but I'm not so sure about separate partitions within a single physical drive.

The original article you linked to just indicated that performance would be improved by putting the swap file in another partition, but didn't explain why it might help. To an extent, I take your point about less defragmentation on the OS partition, but if the swap file is big enough in the first place it shouldn't fragment further. Similarly, if there is adequate free space on the OS drive, I'd guess there would be little difference in fragmentation with / without the swap file in the same partition.

My understanding is that, on a single physical drive, moving stuff to separate partitions can degrade performance as the heads have further to move across the cylinders that the surface is arranged in (this assumes that partitions are sequatially ordered across the cylinders of a disk). This is because the latency time increases (slightly) the further the heads have to move across the disk.

WRT Acronis producing a smaller image file - yes, of course. The less there is, the smaller the image. From True Image manual: "Acronis True Image does not include swap file information (win386.swp under Windows 98/Me and pagefile.sys under Windows NT/2000/XP), or hiberfil.sys (a file that keeps RAM contents when the computer goes into hibernation). This considerably reduces the image size and increases the speed of creating the image."

I keep my C: partition lean - just OS, Programs and default Documents and Settings etc. And, as I said, cleanup before creating an image - my image file is less than 2GB.

D: is my dynamic data (i.e. stuff that changes often and is backed-up daily to second on board hard drive) and weekly to offline storage.

E: is stable data (music, photos etc.) that doesn't change so often. That way the daily backup of D: is relatively small and will fit on a USB stick with ease.

The second physical drive is then used for various online backups (including Acronis images).

Batch 16:53 24 Sep 2006

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone