Acronis True Imamge corrupted archives (Part 2)

iscanut 11:03 24 Mar 2008

There have been a few threads recently about archive/backup verification reporting a corrupted archive. I have had these problems and referred them to Acronis. This is their final response.Thought it might be of interest to those of you with this problem.
----------------------------------
Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience you experienced because of the encountered issue.

We'd like to inform you that such situations can occur if the external drive doesn't it's own power supply and due to the lack of power reduces data transferring speed. The lack of power can also result into very short transfer interrupts which are critical for Acronis True Image, as it uses stream data transfer and can't handle these interrupts, therefore it reports the archive to be corrupted.

You can overcome this by diong the following:

1. Replace the drive cable with more thick one so more power will be utilized by the drive.

2. Disable USB legacy support in BIOS before recovering the data

3. Use FireWire interface if the external drive and your laptop support it. FireWire is proved to be more reliable than USB.

4. You can also reduce the speed Acronis True Image interacts with your hard drives by clicking Tools - Options - Default Backup Options - Performance - HDD Writing Speed. This will slow down the backup performance, but will positively affect the reliability of the backup process.

Please let us know if our suggestions were helpful and clarify if you need any further assistance on using our software.

We are looking forward to hearing back from you at your earliest convenience.
---------------------------------------
My external USB drive has it's own power supply. Not sure how I get a thicker cable! I do not have Firewire. Not sure about disabling Legacy support. Will try their suggestion re HDD Writing speed and let you know how I get on.

iscanut 12:28 24 Mar 2008

Have just carried out and verified a backup that had previously failed to verify by reducing the write speed by half.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?