Acronis True Image vs Norton Ghost, which 1 better

TomJerry 18:50 09 Jun 2004

Possibly wrong question to ask, but I just want to learn other people's experience and decide which one to get. What I am looking for is a imaging program will can take snap of partition as well as disk on external HDD (usb connection) and DVD+/-RW. For any backup, I alway do two on different media, otherwise not much point of backup (in my view because backup do get damaged).

Thanks in advance for your view.

christmascracker 18:54 09 Jun 2004

I use Acronis True Image 7. Very easy to use and like you I put the image onto HD and DVD. It's got me out of a few scrapes and only takes around 10 minutes to restore an image.

Best thing I've ever bought

rawprawn 19:04 09 Jun 2004

I agree entirely with christmascracker, I bought Acronis True Image and I am highly satisfied. I can't compare it with Norton Ghost because I have never used it.

Bebee 19:11 09 Jun 2004

I was using Ghost and was perfectly happy with it, but could not get it to work with a Maxtor external USB drive, and have bought Acronis which works fine. I think the Ghost problem is specifically with the Maxtor, but there were other USB problems listed when I searched Symantec for a solution.

JayDay 19:35 09 Jun 2004

I've used both and found Acronis easier to use. Plus it's free on one of the PCA coverdisks (Issue 104)

TomJerry 21:49 09 Jun 2004

Do not know if TrueImage 7 upgrade (cost $29.99) work with Free Speical version 6 suupplied by PCA. Anyone know this? It seems TrueImage is the one to go for.

gudgulf 23:18 09 Jun 2004

I also have Acronis--Very easy to use,but I admit that I have not needed to restore an image yet!! Pure luck I think.

I do use the included Partition manager/OS selector utility whenever I need to partition or reformat a hard drive----- made setting up Windows XPpro on my sata drive a doddle, and makes Acronis worth the asking price for that alone!

woodchip 23:36 09 Jun 2004

If you right click on the true image file in Explorer you can mount the image like a logical disc drive and load individual files from the image if needed. Do not forget to unmount the Image after

hugh-265156 23:43 09 Jun 2004

i use acronis true image deluxe which is sometimes given away free on mag coverdiscs.excellent in my opinion.has saved me a few times after some 'lets see what this does' on a weekend :-)

very easy to use and speedy to recover.

beeuuem 00:54 10 Jun 2004

Yes - I upgraded from Acronis TrueImage DeLuxe (as supplied on cover disks) to Version 7 for $29.99.
From my point of view money well spent. Have had to use it a couple of times to restore Win98 and it saved alot of time and effort.

TomJerry 11:37 10 Jun 2004

~

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Is this the future of VR and AR?

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment regarder le Bureau des L├ęgendes en ligne ?