Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review
I have recently upgraded my computer which is loaded with Vista Ultimate.
My favourite programme for backing up my drives onto another hard drive is Acronis - and I had to buy an upgrade to version 10 for Vista.
This is not working properly - I can take backups onto an internal hard drive and a USB external hard drive - but Acronis cannot find the external hard drive on a restore. I tried a restore from an internal hard drive which seemed to work OK - but Windows refused to boot afterwards and I had to boot from the Vista DVD and carry out a repair.
In fairness to Acronis - their technical support has been working on the problem for a couple of weeks and have asked me to carry out a number of tests - but a solution eludes them.
Am I alone here - or are there others with the same problem.
Quote "Have you downloaded and installed the latest update (Version 4942 12/03/2007) which boasts amongst other things "Vista restore Fixes"
Yes - but it didn't help me.
A very timely thread for me Alan, as I was about to upgrade to v10.
I also have Vista Ultimate. Now I'm not sure which way to go. Should I seriously consider Serifs offering of PCmover V2 @ £10 or wait a while until Acronis sorts out the problem with v10?
My own preference is Acronis - it has served me well for a few years and up until now I have never had a problem.
Vista is new and Acronis are not the only ones with compatibility problems. For example, I have a 15 month old HP Scanjet 4850 scanner that lacks proper Vista drivers. The HP web site gives me little confidence that they intend providing one - seemingly in the hope that I will ditch the scanner and buy a new one. If so - I will not buy HP but choose another brand of scanner proven to be Vista ready at the time of purchase.
Since you have Vista Ultimate, you will be aware that it has its own disc imaging software. I have taken a backup using it - but have not been brave enough to try a restore.
I am not familiar with Serif's offering and feel that backups are too important to take any risks with. I think I will wait for Acronis to resolve their problems.
Alan my preference would also be Acronis, but I need it now, so have just ordered the Serif offering. will let you know how I get on with it
This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.