Acronis True Image software question

bumpkin 17:35 06 Nov 2014

I know a lot of members recommend this for backup but I have never liked it, so not used it for years I prefer cloning although that has its disadvantages. I have paid for versions of Acronis 8 and also 10. 10 won't work at all,can't even install it. 8 works and has created an image to my external drive I think. I just want to backup a few changes not the whole drive but can't find that option.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:21 06 Nov 2014

incremental backup is the option you need.

bumpkin 18:38 06 Nov 2014

incremental backup is the option you need.

it is the option I require, so where is it?

bumpkin 19:03 06 Nov 2014

Jockie. having in the past bought 2 versions which I have failed to understand or they don't work another one is not tempting me a great deal but thanks for the link anyway.

I have the PC in question up and running in front of me the options are Create Image/Restore Image and Explore Image.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:22 06 Nov 2014

First image is always a full image

Create Image - select drive to image - select file location of where the image will be (external drive) - select type of back up (incremental)

lotvic 19:30 06 Nov 2014

Choose Create Image

If you have an already created a full image (.tib file) then in Creating the imaging mode you need to put a dot next to Append changes incrementally to the existing archive

Full instructions in the .pdf user guide with screenshots, Chapter 4 (page 19)

direct download for user guide Acronis True Image 8 www.acronis.com/pdf/trueimage8.0_ug.en.pdf

bumpkin 20:40 06 Nov 2014

. Append changes incrementally to the existing archive, OK but says "Incremental imaging not is possible" Then starts "Processing please wait..."

bumpkin 21:39 06 Nov 2014

Suddenly says it has done it but I don't know whether it has or not. Said it was not possible then what was impossible says it is now done. Too complicated for a simpleton like I.

bumpkin 22:00 06 Nov 2014

Aside from that issue, when I clone a drive to an exterior drive the program asks me to test it and make sure that it will boot from the back up.. How can I test it if the PC won't boot from a USB drive. The only way to find out is if I clone it back to the HDD which rather defeats the purpose and especially if it does not work.

john bunyan 10:11 07 Nov 2014

I cannot be bothered with incremental back up with ATI. I make a full image of my C partition, verify it (all after virus and malware scans). I keep 2 and on doing a 3rd , ditch the oldest. On another PC I do the same with Macrium Reflect (free). I do make ,occasionally, a clone of the whole disc on my desktop, using a pull out HD kept elsewhere.

john bunyan 10:13 07 Nov 2014

PS I do have all my data on a F partition - for that I use Freefilesynch to make a daily mirror image on another drive. Very quick, and easier that incremental backups.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?