Acronis True Image Question about movable media

mattyc_92 09:18 29 Jun 2005

Hi, I have been using this program for a while now (and have been recomending it to others on this forum and my friends from time to time)...

Well, I was wondering if any of you know if there is a way to write to "DVD-/+Rs" as I have tons of these, but not many re-writables... I know that I could get Acronis to create a backup image on my Backup partition and get it to span the image when it gets to 4.5gigs say and then burn these files onto dvd-/+rs, but is there a way to get acronis to do this itself?

I don't think there is a way, but it never hurts to ask...

Thanks in Advance.

siouxah1 10:39 29 Jun 2005

>

woodchip 10:48 29 Jun 2005

Yes you should be able tell it what drive to write to

mattyc_92 10:54 29 Jun 2005

Sorry woodchip.... I guess I haven't made my post clear....

I CAN use acronis to backup onto "ReWrittable" media, but not "recordable". I haven't got that many DVD-RWs, but I have around 70 DVD-/+Rs (some are + and some are -)... I was just wondering if there is a way to backup onto these by using Acronis, and not having to burn the images onto disk afterwards? As I have said, I don't think you can, but you never know.... lol

freaky 10:56 29 Jun 2005

I have used Acronis True Image 8 to create Back-Ups to DVD-/+ re-writables with no problem. The number of CD's you use will depend on whether you are on FAT 32 or Fat 64.

woodchip 10:58 29 Jun 2005

It should work just the same with CDR or DVDR. So long as the drive supports the discs i.e -/+

ventanas 11:10 29 Jun 2005

Looks like you can click here

mattyc_92 11:14 29 Jun 2005

I still haven't made it clear enough... I can write to DVD-RW, but not DVD-R media.... I was wondering if anyone knows if you can do this (as to write to DVD-RW media, you need Nero's INCD istalled, but INCD doesn't support DVD-R, just DVD-RW/CD-RW)

mattyc_92 11:16 29 Jun 2005

ventanas's link is what I am talking about. But I guess as I don't have Roxio anymore, I can't do this...

O well....

Thanks for everyone who has posted a message and sorry about the confusion.

siouxah1 13:44 29 Jun 2005

matty-92.

Just a note in passing.

I too am unable to write directly to DVD-R or + media using TM8. OK onto DVD-RW. That is why I bumped your query. I am still unable to do this. Will continue to write to HDD and then to DVD-R.

It is an interestying question. Since it has been recommended by many people, it would be interesting to see how many write directly to DVD-R or +.

regards Brian.

ventanas 13:51 29 Jun 2005

The formats mentioned on the Acronis site are DVD+RW; DVD-RW and DVD+R, so I suppose these are the only ones supported. Personally I wouldn't bother with any of them. All backups go to a slave drive.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone