Acronis True Image major problem

Alf58 15:22 14 Nov 2009

I tried to make a system back up using Acronis True Image 2009 which had worked perfectly fine up until today. This time I got the "Acronis has encountered a problem and needs to close" message. I decided to upgrade to the latest version to cure the unknown problem. I duly downloaded and installed. I rebooted when prompted and Windows would not start!!! I got it started by going back to last known good configuration. Of course Acronis wouldnt work. I'm getting a different error message along the lines of being unable to initiate snapshot manager. and the sytem cannot find the file specified.

I then attempted to use the Acronis repair interface from a new download but it gave rise to the same Windows refusing to boot error. I disabled Spybot and AVG during the installation.

The only other obvious system altering software I have on my machine are Advanced System Care and Registry Boooster.

I have sent an email to Acronis but I guess it will be days before I hear anything. Anyone out thee got any suggestions. I really would like to back up my system and I paid a few quid for Acronis in June of this Year.

I'm using Windows XP professional.

cocteau48 15:52 14 Nov 2009

Will Acronis allow you to restore the last good backup which you made?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:52 14 Nov 2009

click here

halfway down page

solution from Acronis

Alf58 15:54 14 Nov 2009

No. I cannot get Acronis to start from "home". I have a saved backup but I dont want to restore that as it is a few weeks old and I have made one or two changes. The current sytem is working very well which is why I wanted to back it up using Acronis.

Alf58 16:03 14 Nov 2009

Thanks for the link Fruitbat. It all seems very long drawn out. I'll give it a go when I have a spare three hours but I dont hold out much hope. The worrying thing is why Windows will not boot up following the reinstall of Acronis. Even if I faff with with the Acronis registry there is no guarentee it will solve the boot up problem. Still one thing at a time eh.

I am disappointed that software which is often touted as being the best on the market is buggy and annoying.

cocteau48 16:48 14 Nov 2009

Hopefully the suggestion by Fruit Bat /\0/\ will work but if you are left with no alternative than to restore your image which is a few weeks old then you should still be able to access it by using the Acronis boot disk.

Alf58 18:50 14 Nov 2009

The help from Acronis that Fruitbat links to refers to something called SnapApi which I cannot find on my system. So I am getting nowhere fast. I might try to delete Acronis from my system and do a clean installl from scratch thast is the only thing I can think of.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:09 14 Nov 2009
  Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:19 14 Nov 2009
  Alf58 19:22 14 Nov 2009

Here is the latest. I tried to remove Acronis from my computer to do a clean install. You cant do it! The remove process begins but then you get an error message saying the remove process was interrupted you need to start again. Of course when you start again you get the same error. So at the moment:
I cant run Acronis. If I try to update Acronis Windows will not boot. I cannot uninstall Acronis. Moral of the story. Have nothing to do with Acronis. I wonder if I can get my money back? I've had it less than six months.

cocteau48 19:41 14 Nov 2009

Have you tried booting the system off the Acronis boot disk? It should give you direct access to restore your last saved image.

If that does not work then here is an option which I have successfully carried out once when even the Acronis boot disk would not let me into the system.(and it has only happened once in three years)

Reformat - reinstall Windows - install Acronis - restore your last saved image.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: UAL Central Saint Martins

MacBook Pro 15-inch (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?