Acronis True Image 9.0

RobCharles1981 11:13 19 Jul 2006

Ive just installed Acronis 9.0 full version which I brought from Ebuyer. I wanted to make a recovery programe to without having to reinstall Windows from Scratch I'm not sure If I did it but heres what I did:

I went into Acronis and I serlected Activte Startup recovery Mananger and followed the on screen prompts and then it created a 30gig partition witch I gather was the Windows XP Image no all I need to do in future on startup is just press F11 to start the recovery process??

RobCharles1981 15:22 19 Jul 2006

An update I think it is the recovery image cause I have lost some main disk space is there a way that I could transfer the recovery image onto a disk such as a DVD-RW??

Please help I'm new to this

mattyc_92 15:27 19 Jul 2006

Sounds like you just created the "Hidden" partition for the "Secure Zone".

To create a backup, click the "Backup" button, and follow the on-screen prompts (selecting the location to store the backup to, compression settings, what to backup, etc...)

RobCharles1981 15:31 19 Jul 2006

thanks matt so how do I recover the lost space??

mattyc_92 15:36 19 Jul 2006

You can go back through the setup (which created it) and there should be an option to "merge" back together

johndrew 15:37 19 Jul 2006

From the Acronis True Image Help file:

` The Acronis Startup Recovery Manager enables starting Acronis True Image Home on a local computer without loading the operating system. With this feature, if Windows won't load for some reason, you can run Acronis True Image Home by itself to restore damaged partitions. As opposed to booting from Acronis removable media or RIS server, you will not need a separate media or network connection to start Acronis True Image Home. It is especially handy for traveling users.`

In other words it provides you with a boot facility from another area of your HDD. This takes up more space than a backup and will not protect you in the event of HDD failure.

I would suggest you use the `Backup` facility and keep it separate to cover the faiure event.

johndrew 15:38 19 Jul 2006

Finger failure.....

faiure = failure.

RobCharles1981 15:40 19 Jul 2006

Thanks both Ile give it a shot

RobCharles1981 15:45 19 Jul 2006

ok ive got the screen up now and I'm in the Zone Wizzard screen so I click "Next" Then do I increase or Dicrease Size but doing wich will that affect my Main Drive or the image and will I still be able to boot from that image??

RobCharles1981 15:52 19 Jul 2006

?

mattyc_92 15:53 19 Jul 2006

Your best bet is to create a "emergency boot-disc" which will take one CD-R (or about 10 Floppy Discs) and will allow you to boot into a "Linux Kernal-Style Acronis program which is on the disc. This will allow you to restore ANY backup you have on ANY media!!!

To remove the "Secure Zone" (keep it if you on;y have one hard-disc) just decrease the size of it, and it *should* ask if you want to merge it..
Someone else may be able to give you more details, as I don't use the "Secure Zone", and never have....

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: UAL Central Saint Martins

MacBook Pro 15-inch (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?