Acronis true Image

ThickMick 19:14 17 Jan 2008

I now have 2 x 80gb hard drives and have after having to have Windows XP Pro re-installed have found my old Acronis back-up CD which would restore to the factory settings.

However do not want to risk it on the original HD. So can I clone this to the 2nd hard drive and then try to restore this to the original settings. Thus if things go pear shape still have the current HD to go back to.

Reason is would like to get all Acer info back on for guarantee reasons in future.

Also would I have to remove the current C drive after cloning.

Zak 19:47 17 Jan 2008

That should be fine, just make sure that the 2nd drive is the Master.

lotvic 20:09 17 Jan 2008

""However do not want to risk it on the original HD""

in that case, if it were me, I would disconnect the original HD so that I could be sure it was safe.

I would then make the other drive master and restore the image to it - this would also make it the new C:\ drive as part of the restore process. As I understand Acronis you are not supposed to have both drives connected when you do the image restoring.

ThickMick 20:14 17 Jan 2008

So could I restore to the new drive rather than clone and then restore?.

Or clone the disk first and then restore after disconnecting C Drive.

Sorry if I sound thick but the name often hides the truth.

lotvic 01:33 18 Jan 2008

"restore to the new drive" Yes, (you are not making a clone)

First you need to verify the Acronis BackUp Image you have on CD to make sure that it is okay to use

Did you make an Acronis Boot CD as well as the Backup you have on CD(s)?

Go into Bios and make the first boot device the CD

Put your Acronis Boot CD in pc
then turn off your pc and then reboot, from the menu on the acronis screen that loads, choose 'Verify Image'
take out the boot CD (if you only have one CD/DVD drive) and put in the image Backup CD and highlight the folder on the CD

What version of Acronis do you have? (I only have Version8)

ThickMick 08:43 18 Jan 2008

Have version 9 and later today will verify the backup. Will reply this evening

ThickMick 18:47 18 Jan 2008

Eventually realised after booting up with Acronis to start the back-up had to put the last CD in 1st. Then OK putting 1st CD in but came up with a corrupt CD.

That was on the back-up from last January. However tried the latest from an external drive and all went fine and have a duplicate drive to boot from if ever needed. However also now confident of just keeping a back-up file up to date.

Thanks for all the help
Mick

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?