Acronis True Image 11 restore

Boghound 17:50 20 Jul 2009

So....I've made full back-ups on an external drive religiously...My HDD is failing so bought new 1T one...All I have to do is use the Acronis Boot Disc, without installing XP first,follow prompts and all will be well????

Technotiger 17:57 20 Jul 2009

Would have been much easier, and quicker if you had chosen to Clone your old hard drive to the new drive. This is exactly what the Clone option in Acronis is for!

With the new drive in a USB Enclosure, you should run Acronis and choose the Clone option. Just follow the on-screen directions, using all default settings. It will not take too long.

Once the Cloning is finished, it is simply a matter of replacing the old drive with the new drive. Then when you re-boot your computer everything will be exactly as before, except for the Capacity of the drive (new) now shown in My Computer.

Boghound 07:20 21 Jul 2009

Technotiger

Thanks for reply but already do that on another PC! All I want to know is whether I can just use the "Boot Disc" to boot the new HDD.

mgmcc 07:48 21 Jul 2009

Boot the PC with the Acronis disk and then restore the backup image (.tib file) from your external drive to the new hard disk in the PC.

Once you've done that and booted the PC, Windows will say it has "found new hardware" (which is the new hard disk) and that you need to reboot. Once you've done that, you're ready to go.

One problem I have come across was, if the destination drive wasn't already partitioned and given the drive letter "C", Acronis might install Windows to a different drive letter. I don't remember exactly what happened, but it may have seen the external drive as "C" and tried to restore to the PC's drive as "D".

Technotiger 08:09 21 Jul 2009

I have never used my boot-disc to install a new bigger hard-drive from a Backup, but in your case, I guess you will need to use the boot-disc.

Personally I would use the Clone option - I would be concerned about possibly corrupting a nice new 1TB drive by doing it your way. Also there is the matter of whether to format your new drive or not - with Cloning, this is taken care of automatically.

I have used Clone to upgrade my C: drive to a bigger capacity one, very straightforward process, as described above, where the boot-disc is not needed. I have also Restored drives from Acronis Back-ups (in the case of software problems), but I have never had to resort to using the actual Disc with which to boot.

In short, I have never used my boot-disc, so would not feel happy advising someone else to use theirs.

I do however, strongly advise you to take the Clone route for upgrading to your new drive.

Sorry this is so long-winded, but I don't want to give you wrong advice.

Boghound 08:16 21 Jul 2009

Thanks mgmcc and Technotiger....that's all I want to know......I must admit Technotiger that it's the easiest solution because I already do that with a laptop and it's not a "step into the unknown".

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?