Acronis True Image 10

SURVEY 13:23 04 Apr 2007

Have recently downloaded the trial version of this program as I was having trouble with Norton Ghost (not recognising main C: drive in the Recovery Mode). Indeed after asking Symantec for help I am still waiting for any response from them after more than 3 days – absolutely hopeless service, just as I had experienced before from them prior to ditching Norton Internet Security etc. Ghost will be going the same way too, and I wish that magazines like PC Advisor would really concentrate on the poor quality of after sales service from companies such as this.

This program (hooray) does indeed recognise all of my drives and I have been able to recover files via the boot-up recovery disc that I made. A couple of questions for those who use this program:

1.As this is a downloaded version, I had to make an Acronis boot disc. For some reason my CD and DVD drives kept giving a screen message as being busy and refused to copy files form Acronis to make the boot disc. Eventually I did get one disc to work in my DVD drive and have used it successfully. I could burn CD’s via my Roxio Easy Creator but not direct from the Acronis program.

2.When testing recovering a few files from a TI image I took, they were recovered but into a new folder created by Acronis called Drive(C) rather than put into their original location. Any ideas why? I thought that I had specified precisely the original location and asked that they overwrite any existing files of the same name.

3.Does the boxed version of TI come with a manual to save having to refer to the online PDF manual?

4.I believe that the downloaded version is a full version but that it expires after 15 days. If I buy the boxed version from say Amazon, do I need to uninstall the downloaded version and then reinstall the new?

5.If restoring a complete drive, does Acronis require free space on the existing drive sufficient to load its image prior (presumably) to deleting whatever is on the main drive? In other words is the restored just as it was when the image was taken or are remnants of the old drive structure remaining?

Batch 14:11 04 Apr 2007

5. No - it deletes and recreates the partition first before restoring. The restored image is exactly that - there are no remnants.

For the active primary partition it does this by booting into its own Linux shell to do restores.

Batch 14:16 04 Apr 2007

BTW you don't need to use the Boot CD or activate Acronis Start-up Recovery Manager to restore even the active primary partition.

You just go into TI under Windows and attempt to do the restore. It will detect what you are trying to do and offer to reboot (into its own shell).

SURVEY 17:44 04 Apr 2007

Batch - thanks for this. Obviously if you cannot boot into Windows then you would have to use the Acronis boot CD

birksy 18:55 04 Apr 2007

A little research first, and I found that if you buy the boxed version, the install disc is already a bootable disc. You don't need to create one. Swung my decision on whether to download or buy boxed.
Paperwork in box is minimal re instructions on use. 3 small pages total, of which half of one page on using it.

SURVEY 19:00 04 Apr 2007

birsky - so you do not get a manual then. At least Norton Ghost gives you that!

Batch 09:01 05 Apr 2007

Yes - of course you'd use the Boot CD if recovering from a HDD failure or a disastrous Windows failure.

But, I would guess that the vast majority of restores are done to overcome general problems arising with the system (e.g. viruses, screw ups on software installs etc.) where it is still bootable (and quite often you are already in Windows when you realise a restore is needed).

BTW, you might be interested in the views on partitioning HDDs in this thread click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone