Acronis Tru Image 10.0 / External Hard Drive

PC22 22:17 29 Dec 2008

I have installed Acronis Tru Image to do a full system backup. I have a Freecom 500 GB external hard drive as well and since I tried to create Acronis Secure Zone Windows Explorer does not show the external drive.

The drive is working as I've accessed it on another laptop and the USB port works as I have plugged my iPhone in and used it.

What has the creation of the Secure Zone done, I was prompted to reboot as part of the operation but when I tried to backup up the Acronis Secure Zone it says it is not available.

What has happened and what is the best way to use this software for backing up my system?

Many thanks in desperation.

PC

MarvintheAndroid 00:23 30 Dec 2008

The whole point of secure zone is that it is a hidden partition which is not available for normal use. This prevents it from being corrupted. Disc images stored in the secure zone can only be accessed using the Acronis Startup Recovery Manager.

MArv

User-312386 00:35 30 Dec 2008

What i do is open Acronis (I have home version) and click back up and back up a complete image to my slave drive.

I "Create Bootable Rescue Media" on a CD and when needed i re-image back to my HDD

However, i dont know if that works with external drives

Technotiger 08:34 30 Dec 2008

I would advise you to ignore/not use, Secure Zone - simple as that! I am sure you will then find that any Full backup you create will run smoothly. Don't forget to Validate your back-ups.

PC22 10:17 30 Dec 2008

Hi All

thanks for this but how do I get back my External Hard Drive in Windows Explorer as its not showing and Secure Zone wouldn't set up on it anyway as its not available at boot up.

PC

Technotiger 10:29 30 Dec 2008

Try your external hard drive in a different USB port, preferably on of the ports in the rear of the PC, these are a little more powerful than front USB ports. Also make sure the Power to your external drive is switched on!

MarvintheAndroid 12:07 30 Dec 2008

Changing ports won't help if the partition is hidden.

See if the drive is visible in Disc Management and if it is, delete the hidden partition, then create a new partition and re-format.

Start - Settings - Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Computer Management - Disc Management.

You will lose any data on the drive.

Be prepared for this to be a slow operation over USB.

Marv

Technotiger 13:04 30 Dec 2008

My suggestion was not intended to 'find' the hidden partition, but to make the drive visible in My Computer. Further action could then be taken - like re-formatting the drive and starting again from scratch, to make a backup without using the so-called Secure Zone which appears to cause more problems.

iqs 13:59 30 Dec 2008

I use ACRONIS to make an image of my C: HDD which is saved to my second internal HDD.

I also clone my C: to a spare HDD I keep safe just in case C: fails,and the saved image is corrupted.I will try and update the clone HDD every 2 months.

Tried using the Secure Zone,we didn't get along ...

PC22 15:11 30 Dec 2008

Thanks for this, I went to disk management and there was no letter assigned to it so I assigned a letter and I can now see it in Windows Explorer. This is be ok shouldn't it?

Technotiger 15:44 30 Dec 2008

Yes, but I would advise you now to re-format (Quick Format) the drive (NTFS), and then make a Full Backup to save to that drive. Don't try to use Secure Zone!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?