Acronis TI 2010

Newuser939 13:27 19 Nov 2009

I have downloaded a trial version of Acronis as so many people here recommend it, but am not sure that I am using it in the best way. My computer has two hard disks, a C drive which contains the OS and all installed programs and a D drive on which all data files are stored. I understand about making an image of the C drive and that is fine. However, Acronis seems to make a bit of a meal of the D drive. As far as I can see, the only options are full backup, differential backup or incremental backup, all of which take a fair bit of time. On the other hand, free programs supplied with external hard disks commonly seem to work on the basis of "syncing" the drives which after the first backup takes only a minute or two each day. What is the best way to use Acronis to back up my D drive if I do not need to be able to choose a particular date to restore from?

northumbria61 13:55 19 Nov 2009

Hi Newuser939 - take a look at this LINK
click here

Leo's answers really is a good place to start. You can if you wish (I did many months ago) sign up to receive a weekly newsletter from Leo (it is absolutley FREE) and contains many topics/answers and also has a "SEARCH" box.

David4637 15:02 19 Nov 2009

Use Acronis to make a full backup ONLY, dont use the other options you mentioned, the risk of corruption increases, also the time saved is minimal. I use Acronis for the C: and then copy the D: "straight" to the external drive. This has worked well for couple of years. David

gazzaho 15:59 19 Nov 2009

I agree with David4637, I only use ATI for full disk backup and to backup some personal folders on my system. I always do a full rather than incremental or differential, using incremental may be faster as it only adds the changes made from the last backup, but to be honest I don't really trust it. I also don't use the machine while the backup is in progress, again less can go wrong if nothing is changed while the backup is being made. You also need to verify the backup to ensure it's not corrupted. When recovering from a backup it's best to use the boot disk, in fact some recommend using the boot disk to backup and recover but I've never had a problem backing up or recovering from within Windows.

I would also use NTFS file system over FAT 32 for Windows backups as there is a 4GB file size limit with FAT 32 which means that a large disk image would be broken down into two or more separate files depending on the size of the backup and compression used.

As for the length of time it takes to backup, that would depend on the amount of data on your C: drive, My own system has around 23GB of used space at the moment, as I,I've recent ally installed Windows 7 and my programs and nothing else, a backup generally takes around 16 minutes to do and this is with the additional verification step on creation. If your C: drive has a lot of data then the backup could take considerably longer, backing up to a USB external drive instead of an internal one would also take longer as transfer speeds are slower.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires