Acronis, Is there a way to..?

rickf 10:25 10 May 2007

Hi,
How can I just make a back up of my Windows XP OS, if so what file do I look for and where? This is for my future reference.I may not need other data from the old H/D
Thanks

rickf 10:27 10 May 2007

BTW, the XP OS is legit. Just that I don't have the installation disc as the comp is 2nd hand and did not come with one.

Eric10 11:04 10 May 2007

You can't just extract Windows from a working setup but you may have a folder on your PC called i386 which will contain all the Windows setup files. This depends on the person who set up the PC having put it there, it doesn't happen automatically. If the folder is there, you can copy it to a CD for safe keeping.
Use siw click here to extract the Windows Key from the PC if it isn't noted on the case. Look under 'secrets' for it.

rickf 13:58 10 May 2007

Hi ERic10
Thanks.

David4637 14:03 10 May 2007

To backup the OS only you need the OS on the C: drive and the data on say the D:.Acronis will then backup the 5GB (XP) in less than 10 mins onto the D: and from then you can save it to DVD if necessary. Acronis compresses the OS data
from 5GB to about 3 GB.

ITS THE BEST THING SINCE SLICED BREAD AND I AM SHOUTING IT !!!
David

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?