Acronis Rescue Cd - What is it?

Pererin 21:35 17 Jul 2008

Hi Gang, I've been reading some of the postings as far back as last year, and noticed something that is recomended all time, a rescue cd in acronis. I,ve used acronis a few times to recover odd lost items, but never had to do a full recovery. So what I would like to know is do you advise making one, and if needed how would it work. My backups are on two external drives and they are alternated weekly. I only ever make full images, and please all replies in nursery terms so I can pretend to understand. Thanks in advance for any help as always.

MAT ALAN 21:39 17 Jul 2008

you can use it to boot into the prog if your O/S wont let you...

do i advise making one!!! YES...

gartoy 21:43 17 Jul 2008

I think you can also use your original Acronis cd as the recovery disc too. Have I ever had to restore my system? Nope, cos I backup! Always the way.

MAT ALAN 21:46 17 Jul 2008

Not sure about that, other wise it would not prompt you on install to make a recovery CD...

woodchip 21:50 17 Jul 2008

Yes I made one, You can do it if you look under the Programs loaded at Start.

To use it, if you cannot get into Windows you can boot with the Rescue CD then load the latest Image you created. you will lose any Info that as not been saved after you created the Image to when you have a problem. So you still need to backup your work

Technotiger 21:58 17 Jul 2008

As you are already using Acronis, if you have an original Acronis True Image disc, you do not need to make a Recovery disc as the Acronis original disc is a Recovery disc.

Eric10 22:23 17 Jul 2008

If you bought Acronis as a download, as I did, then you do need to make a rescue CD. As woodchip has said, if Windows won't load, you can boot from the Rescue CD and this loads a version of the program so that you can access your backup images and recover your PC from one of them.

natdoor 22:27 17 Jul 2008

As stated, an Acronis disc will faciltate a recovery or, if one is not available, a recovery disc can be made. In order to use use one when your O/S won't boot, your BIOS must be set to boot from CD. It will provide access to your external drives so that the saved image can be written to your C drive. Make sure that your back-up files are validated after creation.

If your data files are on a separate drive or partition you should be able to do incremental back-ups. Only afew incrementals should be made however, before staring again with a complete back-up because if one increment becomes corrupted in the chain of increments, data from later increments is lost.

Pererin 22:46 17 Jul 2008

OK so just to put me straight on this, yes I have the original cd for each machine I've installed acronis on, and if I make a rescue cd I can use that or the acronis disc to boot (or start up in my terms!!!). So if there is a problem then it does not harm to have both discs, then will they start on their own or do I have to make the system start from disc, I do hope you understand what I'm asking.

Spark6 23:25 17 Jul 2008

natdoor, with apologies to Pererin, how do I validate my back-ups?

beeuuem 01:04 18 Jul 2008

You need to set the BIOS to boot from the CD drive before the HDD.
I made a boot disk from the option in Acronis and use that if necessary. It means that the programme disk is kept in perfect condition,then you know it will never get scratched and be unuseable just when you really need it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?