Acronis recovery disc

Astrid 10:04 31 Jul 2008

This morning my computer booted as normal but my Kaspersky Internet Security was not working and there were two security alerts. On attempting to connect online I received constant messages that I couldn't connect. I attempted a system restore but my computer wouldn't do this and on a restart all my desktop icons disappeared and the computer totally froze with a blank (not blue) screeen. I then used my Acronis recovery disc after booting into F11 and everything went fine, desktop restored, internet connection back, Kaspersky as if nothing had happened, virus scan clear, virus updates all fine. So, I'm left with the question, what went wrong in the first place? Why all three big problems, requiring the recovery disc? Is this likely to happen again?

woodchip 10:23 31 Jul 2008

It sounds like you downloaded something without knowing, may have been with another program etc. as to your last question, YES thats why True Image is the best. If created when the Computer is A OK

Astrid 09:13 01 Aug 2008

The same problem occurred today, successful boot up would only happen with my Acronis Recovery disc. Before that I couldn't connect to go online and my Kaspersky Internet Security was inactive, also my F:\ external hard drive showed a non-connected icon, even though it is. I checked through my latest added programmes but can't see anything that may have caused the problem. Also, I can't do a system restore. Each time I try at a given point I'm told that my computer won't do it. In checking my control/add-remove programmes list, I see the following, which I can't recall seeing before:
E06E4F4E-72D6-4497-
It may or may not be relevant, but does anyone know what purpose this is for, also any other suggestions re the above boot up problem.

Ditch999 12:20 01 Aug 2008

Try System Restore in Safe Mode.
Had you any thunderstorms recently?
Most damage caused by lightening strikes on BT lines which travels through router/modem and into PC.

Astrid 07:34 02 Aug 2008

No thunderstorms, but the safe mode system restore has worked. Many thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?