Acronis recovery

kawak 15:30 22 Feb 2007

I have installed a new hard drive on my PC and everything I had on the old one is saved on an external drive using Acronis True Image 10.

Now, I want to restore everything I had on the new drive in the PC using Acronis. I've got to the screen where it asks me to specify the size of the restored partition.
The amount of stuff on the external drive is about 40GB. Do I leave the size of partition as it is at 232GB or reduce it to nearer 40?

anskyber 16:10 22 Feb 2007

I think I am right in saying leave it as it is. Acronis will be keen to know that there is room for the whole image hence the question.

kawak 16:35 22 Feb 2007

Done this and starts processing, then says it has to reboot. So I click on reboot and the computer restarts, but won't start up again because the external drive is plugged in.
Should I remove the USB for the external drive while it reboots and then stick it in again?

anskyber 17:00 22 Feb 2007

Worth a try. Take out the boot disc if you used one to do the image transfer.

woodchip 17:01 22 Feb 2007

If you leave it as it is, Acronis will create a Partition the same size as the Image that was created. Leaving the rest of the disc as unused space. that can extra partitions on it

Batch 17:04 22 Feb 2007

If you don't want multiple partitions on the new HDD, leave it as 232GB.

As for the external drive, unplug it and see.

I presume that as you seem to be trying to overwrite the Active Primary partition TI needs to reboot the PC into its Linux shell (as you can't overwrite the Active Partition whilst it is in use [by Windows]). I've never tried using external devices when in the shell, but I presume that these are supported (in the latest version).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?