Acronis question.

Meshuga 20:26 28 Mar 2007

Acronis has the facility to backup your complete hard drive and there is a facility to Clone your hard drive. What is the difference please. I would have thought the end result would be the same. I`m new to this product and still trying to understand some aspects.

woodchip 20:29 28 Mar 2007

No Idea I just create full Images, As Backups

woodchip 20:31 28 Mar 2007

Just a Point.Clone is for coppying full Drive All Partitions etc. But you can use a Image on a New Drive so cannot see the point

SB23 20:36 28 Mar 2007

I use the free version, and to be honest I hadn't thought about it, till now.
I would think that you are correct, that is, a full backup is the same as a cloned hd. I may be wrong, but to me that makes sense, lol. (Someone is sure to be posting to correct me).

Steve

Meshuga 20:36 28 Mar 2007

Woodchip, you say you cannot see the point which is exactly what prompted my question.

Technotiger 20:39 28 Mar 2007

Hi, all is explained ...

click here

Meshuga 20:41 28 Mar 2007

SB23, my point exactly. If you backup your compete HD data to an external HD or you Clone your HD data on to an external HD as far as I can see you`ve done the same thing.

Meshuga 20:48 28 Mar 2007

Hi Technotiger, thanks for that. It makes it clearer HOW its done but in the long run you`ve done the same thing, namely, you`ve shifted stuff from one place to another and can bring it back when you want it. As my father would say, "same meat, different gravy".

SB23 20:52 28 Mar 2007

One thing I have noticed is the fact that a backup (which works, I hastily add), in my case is FAT32, but if you clone a hd, it would surely be in NTFS.
The reason I say that is on my fairly new hd I'm using the Acronis Secure Zone as I form of backup, and I have an external hd aswell, but I've not got anything on it yet. I assume I would clone to the new external, rather that backup?

Steve

Technotiger 21:00 28 Mar 2007

Hi, you should do a full image backup to your external HD, pronto. Acronis, although in my opinion the very best backup system, does I believe sometimes have problems with its Secure Zone - or at least that is how I have read it on some threads on this forum.

Meshuga 21:01 28 Mar 2007

SB23, surely it would backup or clone to whereever you selected for it to go. You have that choice.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone