Acronis and new m'board

sil_ver 19:00 17 Oct 2006

I'm toying with the idea of replacing my motherboard with one of a different make and chipset. It raises the question of what happens when I try to restore my Acronis full drive backup to a fresh HDD knowing that the chipset & sound drivers etc. will be different on the backup. I know I can update the drivers once I'm up and running but will I be able to get that far without XP crashing

anskyber 19:15 17 Oct 2006

This may help, its close to a parallel click here

sil_ver 21:54 17 Oct 2006

anskyber
Thanks for that link but it doesn't seem to be of any use I think it's meant for XP Pro as I can find no trace of it on the XP Home edition SP2. As I read it it seems to apply mainly to OEMs which my PC isn't

woodchip 22:03 17 Oct 2006

XP will let you get to windows with some Mobos but not all. Your Images will be of no use, other than to get the files etc back after you reinstall XP

sil_ver 23:13 17 Oct 2006

Yeah, that's what I figured woodchip. Anyway there's nowt that's important on the drive as it's not been backed up all that long and most of the stuff's on DVD anyway. The current mobo's not all that old but I'm losing confidence in it. Just waiting to hear from ASUS about the problems I have with this mobo and if they're not satisfactory replies, out it comes. Can't be doing with the hassle

woodchip 23:31 17 Oct 2006

I got a New Asus mobo for my 98se comp this last six months. Wish I had never seen it

sil_ver 23:39 17 Oct 2006

I may be wrong but I've taken an aversion to the VIA chipset and don't trust it anymore.
I know it's a cheap board and allied to ASUS but I've got my eye on an Asrock 939 dual-sata as it's had some decent writeups and it doesn't use the VIA chips. It's getting more and more difficult to find a good 939 board with AGP that doesn't cost a bomb.

woodchip 23:48 17 Oct 2006

This one is a SIS. I don't have problems with Via. Have you tried the 4 in 1 drivers for the board

sil_ver 11:09 18 Oct 2006

Yeah, I had to download the latest 4in1 from VIA because none of my games would run at more than 1 frame every 10 secs.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017