Acronis imager - Any free alternatives?

tAtu*! 16:26 02 Apr 2010

Hi all

I am looking to get a free alternative to acronis true imager to back up and create image of my hardrive. I am using Windows 7 64 bit. I have tried to creat an image on my external hard drive, but Win 7 does not recognise the ext hard drive and says instalation failed. I could backup to DVD but it will take 20+ DVD's.

So can anyone recommend an free piece of software that will create an image (hidden) on my hard drive, just in case the unthinkable happens and I lose everything!!

Thanks

Technotiger 16:29 02 Apr 2010

I have not tried this, as I use Acronis 2010 ...

click here

tAtu*! 16:32 02 Apr 2010

thanks

I was looking for a program that will create a hidden area on HDD that can be accessed if system fails?

rdave13 16:39 02 Apr 2010

Have a look at Paragon; click here

tAtu*! 16:45 02 Apr 2010

thanks,

do you use paragon?

rdave13 16:57 02 Apr 2010

I use the Hard Disk Manager 10 version. So far just used for cloning and dual booting. Paragon comes with all the help files needed, just takes a little bit of reading. The free version doesn't clone but what you'll need is the Backup Capsule.

haval 17:04 02 Apr 2010

Have a go at Easeus todo 1.1 free

robin_x 17:21 02 Apr 2010

Check the manufacturers websites of your hard drives.

I have one Seagate external, but it has a cut down Acronis. As long as you are using it, doesnt matter if the other drive is not Seagate.

Can't remember the link cos' I use Windows Backup.

Seagate Wizard or Manager or something.

I am sure I heard other mfrs do similar.

EASEUS Todo, as mentioned, I like as an occasional util.

Also Partition Wizard comes in useful.
click here

tAtu*! 10:55 03 Apr 2010

thanks
I have installed EASEUS and its a really good program. For some reason my Seagate Freeagent ST302504FDC1E1-RK is playing up. I have tried to clone my hard drive to the seagate but it stopped halfway through. Now I cant find it in my device manager? Do you think its not Win 7 X64 compatible? tried looking to see but can't find anything anywhere? Tried connecting via different USB ports and still the same. Seems strange that halfway through cloning the Ext HDD just disappeared?

thanks

David4637 14:58 03 Apr 2010

Check Easeus site to make sure its 64 bit OK? David

tAtu*! 20:21 03 Apr 2010

yeah its fine for 64 bit, its the hdd that seems to be the problem! can any recommend a HDD (about250 gig that is comptable with Win 7 X64) thats inexpensive?

thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017