Acronis how user friendly

eedcam 12:58 09 Aug 2007

Following onfrom frequent advice to create backups am considering acronis. Quite ok with various editing software video audio eyc., but clueless about backups. I will wish to back up the likes of Pics/videos/music on dvd and would like to do that prior to getting th hard drive . How straight forward is creating a mirror image or cloning the system etc Is Acronis the most user friendly or are there others that are easier . Don't find the manual all that straight forward though that may be clearer when actually using the software I would hope. Thanks for any advice

James1947 13:06 09 Aug 2007

Probably one of the easiest pieces of software I have ever used. Completly menu driven, and I always accept the default options. Creates a back up of a 240gb RAID 0 in roughly 40 minutes.

Esc4p3 13:23 09 Aug 2007

I have never used any other backup software, so like you was a total beginner. I bought Acronis from play.com for £14.99 a couple of weeks back, and have found it really easy to use. I read the included help file before starting, and found it well laid out, and the backup process is handled by a wizard which takes you through it step by step.

Because I haven't got an external hard drive yet, I opted to save the first image to my existing hard drive, there is an option to split the image into DVD sized chunks. So the intial backup of around 35gb took about 30 mins, and then I burned the backup onto DVD's separately over the next couple of days.

As I said I have no other comparision, so I can't say it is the best, but if I can make a backup anyone can!

€dstowe 13:29 09 Aug 2007

As with all software, read how to use it before attempting to do so. Acronis is very easy to use - if you use it properly. If you don't, it's a load of rubbish, as some people have come on here and said.

Pamy 13:39 09 Aug 2007

click here. I have never been able to use it

RussB74 13:56 09 Aug 2007

If you do buy Acronis True Image 10 you will need to register it on the Acronis site and download the Update 102MB.
That seems to be the version that is completely Vista compatable, and is also the version to make your recovery Boot Disk from.
Install the Update which is the Full Program anyway, that`s what I did and the program works fine. Build 4942 is the latest one..

eedcam 14:06 09 Aug 2007

Thanks guys looks as if it will be ok Edstowe I know what you mean its too eay to blame the software see that all the time with the video editing problems often self inflicted .Pamy taken your comment on board did you give up and try anything else

Pamy 16:24 09 Aug 2007

Yes I gave up and use xxcopy/clone. Not what I realy want but will get me out of the mire.

eedcam 17:19 09 Aug 2007

Thanks Pamy hope I have better luck
Escp43 Thanks I nearly paid £20 at amazon now getting from play.com

Pamy 17:22 09 Aug 2007

eedcam, have you bought it yet? you can get it free from seagate

Pine Man 18:11 09 Aug 2007

I have used most versions of Norton Ghost and then I tried Acronis True Image 9.

Norton went straight in the bin!

I am now on True Image 10 for Vista - excellent.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?