Acronis Differential Backup,Restore

prince midas 10:12 04 Nov 2008

I have always done a Full Backup onAcronis and have restored dozens of full backups with no problems.

I decided to try a Differential backup.
What I did was remove a couple of folders and then add a new folder and then do a Differential backup.I noticed that on my differentiak backup that the two removed folders and the new folder was also there as expected.

On looking for help on restoring a differential th Acronis help is very vague.My question is to do a full restore do I use the differential first and then the fullbackup,or do I just use the differential or do I use the Full backup only as it is not clear in Help file.Finally will a full restore put back the 2 folders I removed and the new folder.I personally think it will and if it does then it is useless and I will have to go back to full backups only. Your remarks appreciated.

Technotiger 10:28 04 Nov 2008

You will need the original Full backup and the latest Differential. Start the Restore with the Differential first.

I have never had to use it, but I have my full Backup and weekly Differentials. I delete earlier differentials as they are not needed (unlike Incrementals, which are all needed for a Restore).

As you say, the instructions are not particularly clear, but the above is how I 'see' it.

prince midas 11:01 04 Nov 2008

Thanks for your time Technotiger I will use the differential first and then the full backup to do a full restore. But as you say it is a bit hit and miss as I feel that when you do a full restore this way it will put the folders you have removed back onto the system which you do not want. I feel that sticking to full backups is the only way you can get a full system that you want. It probably okay for file only restores.

john bunyan 12:21 04 Nov 2008

I mostly use the clone feature which I assume is a full backup? (After a scan for virus and malware, and a defrag). I am not sure if the differential back up is different to a cloned disc.

Technotiger 14:10 04 Nov 2008

A differential backup, only updates an Original backup, a Differential on its own is not a full backup.

A Clone backup in Acronis is a Full backup, and is mainly intended for when one wants to Restore the backup, to a Different Hard drive on the same PC - as in the case of a hard drive failure.

Roadgiant 14:55 04 Nov 2008

I found a very good guide to installing & using Acronis Tru Image here :- click here it is also down loadable in PDF form. There is also a very good guide to automatic back up using TI here :- click here

Pineman100 15:18 04 Nov 2008

I tend to avoid incremental or differential backups, and only do a full system backup each time. It takes a little longer, but I think it's worth it from the security aspect. I just feel that the more bits and pieces you have to reassemble in order to gain a full up-to-date image, the more risk there is.

But I expect that view will get shot down!

I keep three full backups on my external drive at any one time. Whenever I've created a new one, I then delete the oldest.

compumac 18:11 04 Nov 2008

I do as Pineman. I have just reformatted my main PC and reinstalled every programmme. (it zooms along now).
Prior to any major programme installation I do a complete image backup. I find that it takes less than ten minutes to create an image including verification. I currently have four images covering the latest installations.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?