Acronis copy of HDD does not boot

awest3 14:05 13 Oct 2013
Answered

This is an extension of my previous post regarding a system restore on a different copmuter. I'm now at the stage where I've recovered an Acronis backup of my XP HDD. I did this by attaching both the backup drive and the drive where the recovery is to take place to my W7 machine. After a couple of initial hiccups the recovery to the new HDD worked ok. I can see all of the data on the new drive but it won't boot when back in the XP machine.

Do I need to do something else to make it bootable or is my whole premise wrong in trying to do a recovery this way?

I can't boot the XP machine using the old drive (which according to diagnostics has a whole heap of problems, this is a bit strange as when I attache it to my W7 machine I don't get any issues)

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:58 13 Oct 2013

Pata or sata drive?

if pata must be set as master to boot from

Sata needs to be in the lowest number sata port

woodchip 16:06 13 Oct 2013

You cannot normally use boot a drive from different Computer as all drivers and configuration is wrong and not for that PC

awest3 18:28 13 Oct 2013

Thanks guys. I've found a copy of a backup I took just 2 weeks ago. I had not named it correctly. As I could not boot the XP machine I restored the backup to a new drive using my W7 machine. As you say its probably not possible to do this as all I get is a blinking cursor (no input allowed) when I try to boot using this recovered HDD.

I'm going to try to reinstall XP prof onto the new drive then try to use the acronis backup on top of that. I did try to reinstall to the old drive everything seemed to go well (I thought that a full format would either fail or fix the bad sectors) but after the install had finished it just died. When I ran diagnostics on the drive again it had all the same errors.

Wish me luck.. Al

woodchip 21:55 13 Oct 2013

If you created an Acronis Image, you should only need to Start PC with Acronis CD then point the program to the Image you want to Restore, this should restore MBR Partition table Windows and all software as at the time you created the Image

awest3 22:14 13 Oct 2013

Thanks..

As I'd had so many problems trying to get the machine to recognise the backup I decided to try a reinstall of XP prof prior to trying an Acronis recovery. The reinstall has now worked and tomorrow I'll try and run the Acronis bootable CD and recover the Sept backup to it. When I put the new drive in the machine I could not get it to do anything at all.. I'd tried an Acronis recovery but the machine would not recognise even the CD/DVD drive.. so its been lots of fun.. but I'm bored with it now. Seeing the reinstall complete was the high point of the day...lets see what tomorrow brings... Thanks again Al

woodchip 22:36 13 Oct 2013

That most likely due to Sata Drivers missing

awest3 14:19 14 Oct 2013
Answer

After finding the backup and using the correct acronis boot disk, it didn't like the latest one, luckily I'd kept an old copy which worked.

All is now back to normal and I dont need to berate myself as I did take a backup after all...

Thanks for all your help

Al

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 Hack Latest News: How Secure is your Wi-Fi?

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Comment utiliser Twitter ?