Acronis Clone Won't Boot

ldescher 06:37 14 Jan 2009

I've created clones from old laptops to new with Acronis True Image before that have worked flawlessly, but from my old pc to a new laptop didn't.

I cloned 80gb XP Pro (PC) to 160gb (laptop). Put it in the laptop and it starts to run the Windows logo, then the blue screen with a boot disk error message.

Obviously the systems are different between the original PC and the laptop (processors and ram), but both are SATA.

Advice?

€dstowe 07:44 14 Jan 2009

XP "knows" the computer it belongs to so, it isn't unusual for a clone not to recognise a different installation and refuse to boot.

DieSse 09:06 14 Jan 2009

The hardware in one is totally different to the hardware in another (motherboard, and chipset etc on it - graphics card, etc, etc) - so one wouldn't always expect it to boot.

If you tell us why you want to do this, we'll see if we can make alternate suggestions.

Zeppelyn 09:20 14 Jan 2009

This may work if before you clone the disk you uninstall all chipset and graphics drivers etc. Saying that you may still have a problem as XP would recognise that the hard disk does not match the one recorded in Mounted Devices hence the disk boot error message. Also unless this is a retail copy of Windows you are in breach of Microsoft licence.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?