Acronis Backup Advice

chrisbenwalker 17:57 18 May 2008

I use Acronis TI for my backups, and have ran a back up of my entire laptop HD a while ago.

My question is, when I run an incremental backup of any changes made since the last backup, does this mean that I can delete the original backup, or do I need to keep this and then restore each individual incremental back up that has been done should the need arise?

Ditch999 18:03 18 May 2008

You need to keep the original and all others. ATI will detect the incremental ones and append them itself.

chrisbenwalker 18:10 18 May 2008

Thanks ditch999

A further question the, when running the restore from my ext hd, do I select the original backup, or the last most recent incremental backup?

Also, if the original backup size is say 10gig, then the 1st incremental is a further 2gb, the incremental is showing 12 gb. Does this mean I have used 22gb of space, or just 12?

Sorry of this should be obvious to me, but I'm just wondering if I'm going to be using lots of space each time I run an incremental.

Cheers for the advice...

rawprawn 18:41 18 May 2008

Select "the last most recent incremental backup?"
if that is the one you want. For example you may wish to go back further, in which case you would select the original.
Be aware it is not really good practice to continually add incremental backups. It is better to use a full backup every now & then (Say every month) or you end up with a string of incremental s all relying on the original backup..
Also DO NOT use incremental backups if you are backing up to the Acronis secure Zone, always use a full backup.
Incrementals use less space, only the amount needed to log the difference from the last backup.

chrisbenwalker 19:06 18 May 2008

Thanks rawprawn,
I'll follow your advice on the incrementals.
Also, I haven't really used the Secure Zone function as my laptop has a backup partition that is there for me should I need it.
I may have a go with my older desktop though.

rawprawn 19:36 18 May 2008

If your laptop has a recovery partition, I suggest not using Secure Zone as I have found it can become unstable. However you should have no problem with your desktop, in fact I would recommend it.

Ditch999 19:42 18 May 2008

I resized my partitions and implemented the Recovery Manager. Bad mistake! Took 4 days to fix!

David4637 14:15 19 May 2008

DON'T USE ACRONIS INCREMENTAL BACKUPs. The time saving is minimal. If you need restore, a complete backup will ensure there are minimal risks to file corruption and therefore a better chance of getting you up and running again. Please note. David

rawprawn 17:18 19 May 2008

While I agree with your opinion to some extent, I feel that to never use Incremental backups is not really a big NO, NO.I do not think that endless incremental backups are a good thing, however I see no reason not to use them at all.
You can if you wish, include Verification in the backup although it does take longer.
I do tend not to use incremental s, but I have no reason to believe they should not be used, except in the Secure Zone where you can end up with no original full backup on which the incremental s are based, and without the original will not work.

UncleP 20:53 19 May 2008

Full, incremental and differential back-up techniques have been around for decades; Acronis includes all of them in its software because there are still applications around for which one or other is the optimum solution. To suggest that nobody should employ incremental back-ups under any circumstances would be misleading.

As rawprawn notes above, the main advantage of an incremental system is not that it saves time - which should not be a major consideration in any case - but that it saves storage space when the option of having many possible 'restore points' is required. A shopkeeper may require the possibility of recovering his accounts to any working day in the month, for example. If this is achieved using a full back-up every day, terabytes of storage may be required. Incremental techniques can reduce this by a factor of ten or more, even if the number of increments in each chain is kept relatively small.

If you are simply talking about restoring a failed machine to a known good condition then differential methods, or even repeated full back-ups, are to be preferred. But this is well-known and has been stated in this forum on a number of occasions. And of course each back-up should be checked or validated to ensure that it is not corrupt and will restore correctly should it ever be required.

UncleP 21:02 19 May 2008

Sorry, I wrote most of that much earlier before unexpected visitors arrived, and completed it without checking for additional posts in the meantime.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?