Acronis advice please

Enoch 06:03 28 May 2006

I have Acronis True Image on XPHome. I use Acronis to back up hopefully, my hard drive to an external hard drive. However, I am not sure I am doing it correctly as I have two options in Acronis. One is "BackUp" and the other is "Clone Hard drive".

Which option should I use. I want to store a copy of my hard drive in case of complete PC failure.

Help would be appreciated

€dstowe 06:24 28 May 2006

BackUp will make a compressed image of your drive. This is used in the event of failure of your system to re-install your system in a working condition. You can add "incremental backups" to the main backup which add only changes to your system since it was previously made thus saving time and disk space.

A drive "Clone" makes an exact copy of your drive and can be used to replace the drive it was make from, if necessary. You cannot make incremental additions. A clone is large size (same as your hard drive) and each update takes the same disk space and same time to prepare.

For normal backups, the image is better, used in conjunction with the Acronis boot disk which you prepare when you first install Acronis (if you haven't done this, do it now).

Enoch 07:00 28 May 2006

€dstowe

Thanks for coming back. I have been using Acronis BackUp, but what I cannot understand is that when I check my "External Hard Drive" afterwards, firstly I cannot see INTO any part of my internal hard drive on the other drive other that the date and title of the back up and, secondly, it appears that one backup breaks into 2 or 3 as when I look on the external hard drive, as 2 or three are on there at almost the same time as the backup I made.

I want to COMPLETELY backs up my hard-drive weekly and not incrementally.

Please advise

€dstowe 07:16 28 May 2006

Are you using the Acronis Secure Zone? If you are, this is a hidden partition only accessible from the Acronis boot disk (which I mentioned) or from within Acronis.

If you want to check what is in your backup, you can verify it whilst you are in Acronis by clicking on "Check Image". Trying to look at it from anything else will either fail or give you a load of apparent gobbledegook.

The best thing for you to do would be to have a look at the Acronis User Guide which is included with the program and find out which is best for your purposes - which does vary according to choice and the particular setup you may have.

mgmcc 07:49 28 May 2006

<<< firstly I cannot see INTO any part of my internal hard drive on the other drive other that the date and title of the back up >>>

You should have an option to "Mount" the image. It then appears as a new drive in the PC and you can navigate its files as with any other drive. When finished, "Unmount" the drive either by right clicking it or from the main window in Acronis.

<<< secondly, it appears that one backup breaks into 2 or 3 as when I look on the external hard drive, as 2 or three are on there at almost the same time as the backup I made. >>>

If the files become excessively large, which depends on the size of the drive you are creating an image of, Acronis will automatically split the image into two or more individual files. As far as you are concerned, treat the first file as though it is the complete image.

Enoch 08:10 28 May 2006

€dstowe - I am not using Aronis Secure Zone, which I understand would be a separate area on my existing hard drive. I actually want the backup to be totally on an external hard drive. In addition, I cannot see "Check Image" on the Acronis True Image, (please advise). I have also printed out the User Guide but the question originated as I was unsure about backup or clone.

mgmcc - "Mount" solved the problem of seeing into my external drive for checking purposes and your answer regarding image in external hard drive makes sense. Using the first file for recovery and the allowing the following files to automatically follow also makes sense.

Thanks guys

mgmcc 08:29 28 May 2006

<<< In addition, I cannot see "Check Image" on the Acronis True Image, >>>

The option may be "Validate Backup Archive" if you are using Acronis 9.0

mgmcc 08:32 28 May 2006

...on further reflection, we may be at "cross purposes".

"Mount" the image to view its contents and "Validate" it to check that none of its contents are corrupt.

€dstowe 08:34 28 May 2006

You can put Secure Zone on an external drive - all my machines are backed up this way.

"Check Image" is one of the options to the left on the Acronis first page.

€dstowe 08:35 28 May 2006

Ahhh! It is "validate" on the later version.

Enoch 09:17 28 May 2006

mgmcc:- I am using Acronis 9.0 and I do use "Validate"

€dstow:- The way I read the User Guide seems to imply that I can only backup completely once on "Secure Zone" and then the following time it will backup OVER the first backup, is that view correct. However, what is the advantage over one or the other please.

And finally, I am going to instal the latest Norton Internet Security 2006 replacing Norton Internet Security 2003. It comes packaged with "Ghost". I plan to alternate weekly backups between the two (Acronis & Ghost). Does that work?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone