acronis 8.0 vs ghost 9.0

globus 13:45 14 Sep 2005

Hi to all

I want to buy 'backup and recovery solution'... .

Acronis True Image 8.0 or Norton Ghost 9.0

If you could supplie me with some your experience... it would be great...

Thanks

Trek

stylehurst 14:09 14 Sep 2005

Have used both Acronis TrueImage 7 & 8 and previously Ghost. Ghost was picky about back up devices but may have improved. Ghost would only do a complete back up whereas Acronis will do incremental back ups.
Having used both programs I personally prefer Acronis

€dstowe 14:26 14 Sep 2005

Acronis every time, no question.

Philwane 14:41 14 Sep 2005

I recently ditched Ghost in favour of Acronis not that there is anything wrong with Ghost its a very good program and has served me well for the past 2 years.

But if you want to back up to an external USB HDD as I did then Ghost is a non starter.

Acronis does this with ease and that was the main reason for Ditching Ghost

keith-236785 15:46 14 Sep 2005

i use ghost as that is what i shelled out the readies for, not very easy to use at first (confused the hell out of me regarding how to make a boot disc), but very effective when the chips are down. fresh install of windows/office/internet setup and other stuff all fits on 1 dvd, very easy to restore (used it twice already)

not used acronis except the trial but it only lets you mimic a image save so i dont know how effective it would be (others seem to favour it so it must be ok). i must admit i preferred acronis for ease of use but as said i have already bought Ghost9.0 so im stuck with it.

good luck with your choice

Wuggy 16:18 14 Sep 2005

If you decide to buy Acronis TrueImage "off the shelf" rather than as a download be sure to go to their web site and update to the latest build which is now 937. it's the best money you'll ever spend.

freaky 09:25 15 Sep 2005

Used both, in my opinion Acronis is the better program, but make sure you update it on a regular basis.

kyprosman 16:27 15 Sep 2005

I'd recomend Acronis.

JYPX 21:27 15 Sep 2005

Another vote for True Image. I am still using the full version of TI6 supplied by PCA on a cover disc last year - the best freebie ever in my opinion. It works superbly and I have have no interest/need for incremental back-ups.

mattyc_92 21:31 15 Sep 2005

Acronis hasn't gave me any errors when backing up or restoring (unlike Ghost) and the compression rate is alot better.

absent 21:50 15 Sep 2005

Definitely Acronis.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?