Acronis

Chas49 21:13 16 Sep 2008

I use Acronis true image 11. I run the boot disk to validate the image and, invariably, when it is finished it does not then boot into windows but gives me a 'C:\' on the dos screen inviting me to use the help menu. To get out of this I have to switch off the machine - surely this is not what Acronis intended.

Validating within the OS (Vista Home Premium) always results in a termination insisting that the image is corrupt. The image wasn't corrupt as I found out when a Restore was needed. Why should this happen. Is it a Vista thing?

woodchip 21:38 16 Sep 2008

Do you start with the Acronis CD in the Drive? then look for the Image and run Check Image= Validation

Chas49 22:07 16 Sep 2008

Yes, that is what I do to validate..

I am at the moment working on my old machine whilst making an image to the HP Pocket Medua drive on the other.

I'll try to validate it first from within windows, and then by booting up with the disk and validating whilst that disc is in the drive. I would have expected that it would finish up by booting into windows - the disk still being in cd drive.

Thanks for the quick reply Woodchip

woodchip 22:10 16 Sep 2008

Do you choose Validate after or when Creating Image?

Chas49 22:28 16 Sep 2008

After

woodchip 22:30 16 Sep 2008

Do it when you create the Image to see how it goes

Chas49 22:31 16 Sep 2008

I've just noticed that the screen saver has cut in - could this, I wonder, corrupt the image being made?

Chas49 22:32 16 Sep 2008

I'll try that tomorrow Woodchip. I'll post the result - just in case I'll alter the screen saver before I do.

woodchip 22:39 16 Sep 2008

Don't use Screen Savers on any of my Computer. I turn the Monitor off if I am not using it for a while

woodchip 22:41 16 Sep 2008

Something to Check, Go into Control Panel\Power Management Check the Drive and other things are not set to turn of after so long Set them to Never. Control it with the Off Button in Start turn off

Chas49 22:44 16 Sep 2008

Yeah, you're right. I'll turn it off - I use the hibernate method when leaving it for an hour or two anyway.

I'll post the results some time tomorrow or Thursday, if the weather's OK tomorrow I may take advantage of my bus pass and go to Brum for a while. Either way, I will post the results.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone