acronis 2011 offer

awest3 10:42 21 Feb 2011

I use acronis for my backup regime..always worked first time..
I recently received an e-mail with an half price offer to upgrade..along with this was an offer to include a 'plus pack' add on for free.

This has the following statement in it

'For example, you are able to restore an image from your old PC to newly purchased computer or laptop'

I always thought that this was not allowed, if it was could you not set up an image with myrids of software and put it onto many PC's...

Ian in Northampton 11:05 21 Feb 2011

I can't see how that would work. Surely, all the drivers in the PC image would be wrong and would need to be substituted by the drivers for the laptop? But I think you'e right about the legality of it - plus might there also be an issue that, the next time MS checks for Windows validity, it will find a very different hardware configuration and as a minimum force you to re-register?

awest3 11:35 21 Feb 2011

having looked at the bumf it appears that you have to have certain drivers (e.g. video and sound card drivers, plug and play drivers) on a usb stick or other HDD to complete the recovery....

Also says 'Acronis Universal Restore is a module that allows changing Windows Hardware Abstraction Layer (HAL.dll) and install mass storage boot device drivers into the system'

and '(!) Acronis Universal Restore patches the registry and installs the new drivers after the system is restored, so make sure the location with the drivers will still be available. For example, do not specify the search path for the drivers on the same disk to which you are restoring the backup. The recommendation is to have the drivers on a separate USB disk, or on a network share.'

interesting..

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?