Acronis 10 problem - backing up emails

exdragon 15:58 31 Jan 2007

Hi - I thought I'd start with something simple and back up my emails folders with this just received programme, but am having problems.

I select what to back up and to where, then after a few seconds, I get the message that Acronis has encountered a problem and is shutting down, followed by 'send Microsoft an error report'. If I try to do it again, there is an email back up showing, but a message saying it isn't an Acronis back up, or is corrupt.If I then choose to overwrite it, it shuts down again.

If I try to open the existing back up, it shows as being password protected, but I didn't enter a password.

Any idea 'woss goin' on?' please! (Glad I didn't start a full back up, I have to go out at 6.30...)

anskyber 16:05 31 Jan 2007

I've just tried mine and it's OK. A full back up takes about 15-20 mins and you can abort it. It might be worth trying to see if the full back up works.

If it does not it may mean you need to re-download if that is how you did it since the install could be corrupted.

exdragon 16:10 31 Jan 2007

15 -20 mins?? When I did it with version 8, it took a couple of hours! I think I may uninstall and reinstall, as it generally doesn't seem happy - takes several attempts to open the prog itself from the Start menu or desktop icon, hangs when doing other things.

Oh dear.

And I still can't get my head round the Secure Zone and the bit about re-writing the mbr, or backing up to the hard drive or an external...I can't cope!

anskyber 16:14 31 Jan 2007

I've just noticed your other thread on the serial number for your Acronis.

My DVD box (from Amazon) included an 8 page instruction booklet. (White)

On page 8 in large letters and numbers in a prominent box is the serial number to register your product not in the faint grey dots you describe in your other thread.

exdragon 16:24 31 Jan 2007

Yes, thanks - I eventually spotted the code after being pointed in the right direction!

Just reinstalled and am going to have another go, though I'm getting a bit fed up with it now!

exdragon 09:51 01 Feb 2007

Apparently it's a known problem that, despite saying on the box that it will back up Outlook, it won't. I came across a fairly irate thread on a forum, from people with exactly the same problem as me. So at least I know it's nothing I'm doing wrong.

Incidently, I started off a full back up of My Data, which threatened to take 2 hours. What's the computer equivalent of ExLax, anyone?? (Only joking, I've cleaned, defragged, AdAware-d, Ewido-d and CCleaned it to an inch of its life)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?