Acrobat Pro v. 6 versus Acrobat reader v.9

Diemmess 12:25 22 Mar 2010

How can I force my PC always to use Reader when reading!

Have tried the basic "Always use this program to open this type of file"
It works if I am opening a file already on disk, but I cannot open a download link on a website.

The error message says in effect - Acrobat 6 cannot open this file, please use Acrobat 8 or 9 ............and then hangs just to spite me!

I don't want to uninstall Acrobat 6 Pro, it is very useful periodically to convert files for publication on in some cases emailing.

Sea Urchin 12:33 22 Mar 2010

What version of Adobe Reader do you have? Don't confuse Acrobat and Reader. Update to Adobe Reader 9 - it won't affect Acrobat. Then make sure you always open .pdf files with Reader (via Folder Options).

click here

Diemmess 13:44 22 Mar 2010

Sorry if my post is not clear.

As I said, I have Acrobat Pro v6 and Acrobat Reader v.9 installed.
Until recently the Acrobat Pro has remained in the background except when used to convert files to PDF for publication or commecial printer.

When merely opening a PDF file, Acrobat Reader has opened and no conflicts.

Now, possibly since upgrading to v.9, the old Acrobat Pro has beaten Reader to it!

I also have tried the Windows procedure - "Always use this program to open this type of file" and selected Reader v.9 to do it. No change.

My laptop doesn't have Acrobat Pro loaded and I can open the web site download so there's nothing wrong with the website itself.

Sea Urchin 14:05 22 Mar 2010

So when you look at the file extension for PDF files what does it show? In this example it shows Adobe Reader 9.3 - if yours doesn't you should click on the change button and select it.

click here

DieSse 14:58 22 Mar 2010

The download links from the web open with a plug-in to the browser, not with the program installed on your system.

Can you look in the plug-ins and add-ons and see how they're set up please.

For instance, on FireFox, mine says in add-ins (go to Tools - Add-ons - click the Plg-ins at the top) Adobe Acrobat 9. somethings as a plug-in.

Diemmess 15:04 22 Mar 2010

Thanks but Reader in folder options does show version 9.3

The old "full strength" Acro Pro v.6 is probably now so old that it wont answer to the bells and whistles of later generations.

Your clear screen shot shows PDX and PDFX which are presumably recent twiddles and improvements?

There are freebies or inexpensive apps which will convert various formats to PDF, I'm thinking that is my best way forward.
Probably Word.doc and .jpg will be alright, but I must have a Corel.CDR conversion facility.

Diemmess 15:19 22 Mar 2010

That looks hopeful.
I'm using IE 8 - I think though Yahoo comes into it a lot!
Help refuses to find add-ons and Tools likewise.

In the course of time I've come add-ons several times and never paid much attention, accepting defaults or whatever.

Sea Urchin 16:23 22 Mar 2010

This is Adobe's solution to your problem

click here

DieSse 16:53 22 Mar 2010

In IE8 it's Tools - Internet Options - Programs - Manage Add-ons - Toolbars and extensions

There should be an Adobe entry - mine says

Name Adobe PDF Link Helper
Publisher Adobe Systems, Incorporated
Status Enabled
File date 27 February 2009, 12:07
Version 9.1.0.163
Load time 0.09 s

Sea Urchin 16:54 22 Mar 2010

If still no joy then I would suggest downloading Foxit Reader - and on the Help menu select Make Foxit the default reader.

Graham. 16:59 22 Mar 2010

I use PDF-Xchange Viewer these days click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 Hack Latest News: How Secure is your Wi-Fi?

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Comment utiliser Twitter ?