acquiring network address

Darcey 11:39 30 Aug 2009

grrrrr !!!! i have a belkin route thingy.... sorry not sure about all of this.. anyway have installed it and for a few weeks.. on the internet fine... then starting getting slower and finally asking me for : acquiring network address... so uninstalled the belkin and re installed it.... then hey... its working again.... but now when i turn my pc of at night completely go on in the morning... and have that same question again..... i do a scan at 4am every morning.... is that whats knocking out my address thingy ??? i get fed up with re installing this.. and i even went out and exchanged the belkin for another in case it was broke ???? help !!!!
thanks

howard64 10:57 31 Aug 2009

this could simply be a setting within the router setup. Mine needed the mtu setting set to 1458.

Darcey 10:27 01 Sep 2009

howard64... thanks for the advice will attempt what you had recommended.

Stuartli 16:07 01 Sep 2009

If you are with TalkTalk or AOL, the MTU is 1432 (setting a higher figure can/will cause problems).

woodchip 16:16 01 Sep 2009

Try turning the router off then back on when it does this, with switch button at back of router

Darcey 08:04 03 Sep 2009

yesterday was on u tube watching a childrens prgrammme when an alert came up and the computer was asking me to run this programme or i would loose everything on my pc.... I didnt do it... but i take it that these trojin things are bugs?? need to do a computer courss. anyway have now installed windows Defender as well as AVG.... is there a better one that would stop spywear etc ?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?