Acquiring network address!!!

Molly_Don 18:41 18 Aug 2009

I have an acer desktop, not long had XP reinstalled, now once the machine is booted up, it won't connect to the internet.

It states "Acquiring network attention"

I have Netgear WGR614v9 Wireless router installed in the lounge, and a TP-Link 54M Wireless USB adapter installed in the machine.

Any advice please?

*I have no problems connecting to the internet on my laptop*

baldydave 19:56 18 Aug 2009

Hi,
Have you re installed TP-Link 54M Wireless USB software?
Have you selected your network and input the security key?
Go to start icon/control panel/network connections - is the setting for the usb adapter enabled,if not right click and enable?
Have you got a firewall,if so is this blocking the connection.
Also try turning router off for 5 min or so then turn back on.

Molly_Don 20:14 18 Aug 2009

thx baldydave

Have you re installed TP-Link 54M Wireless USB software? = Yes

Have you selected your network and input the security key? = Is this my password? if so, yes I've re inserted it.

Go to start icon/control panel/network connections - is the setting for the usb adapter enabled,if not right click and enable? =I got as far as network connetcions, but can't see a setting for usb adaptor

Have you got a firewall,if so is this blocking the connection, not sure, right now it's showing as windows firewall protecting, I have to change it later back to Kaspersky.

Also try turning router off for 5 min or so then turn back on = I tried that earlier.

Under "Choose a wireless network" it's showing Netgear, it has an airel type icon also a security lock on it stating "Security enabled wireless network " (WPA) on the right hand side it states Not connected" with a gold star

*You may have guessed by now, I'm useless with computers so hoping for guidance from the experts*

baldydave 20:50 18 Aug 2009

Have you selected your network and input the security key? = Is this my password?
This is normally random letters and numbers which are set on the router eg LT5KYKSL the WPA key.
Under "Choose a wireless network" it's showing Netgear, it has an airel type icon also a security lock on it stating "Security enabled wireless network " (WPA) on the right hand side it states Not connected" with a gold star,this needs the WPA Key inserting not ususally your password.

baldydave 20:59 18 Aug 2009

If you cannot find the WPA key
you can access the router with the laptop go to the internet page eg internet explorer or firefox etc, in the top address bar type in
click here.
This should take you to a router login page the netgear std entries are user name-admin and password-password
once in check to see if the wpa key is displayed then enter this key into other pc

baldydave 21:01 18 Aug 2009

If you hover the mouse cursor over the click here highlight on the post above it will show the address you need

Molly_Don 21:08 18 Aug 2009

OK Dave, I have an idea what I have to do, I've to go to work now so I'll have a go tomorrow and post back.

Thanks for your help so far.

Molly_Don 12:34 19 Aug 2009

Update: all sorted, thanks Dave

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Les meilleures applications de covoiturage 2017