"acquiring network address"

mikegru 17:44 08 Oct 2007

Hello, I am running XP and have a Broadcom 802.11b/g WLAN wireless and Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC internet connection. 2 nights ago, I was unable to connect to the internet and when attempting to conenct, the PC hung up on "acquiring network address". I have tried troubleshooting through Windows with no luck. Have read thru some of these forums and applied a static IP address - the PC says it's connected, but has no actual connection to the internet. Also tried to start DHCP thru My Computer - Manage - Services & Applications and received the following: "error 1068: The dependancy service or group failed to start"

I'm stumped - any ideas on where to go next?

Thanks
Mike

ambra4 18:27 08 Oct 2007

Have you try rebooting the modem/router by power it off and on again

That would be the first thing to do even if all the light is on a glitch on the line can freeze up the modem/router so you are connected to the router but no activity on the line to your ISP

mikegru 18:50 08 Oct 2007

No need to reboot the modem, as there are 4 other PC's connected to the modem which are working fine. I'm connecting to you thru a desktop connected to the same Linksys device - it's my laptop which will not connect - either wireless or wired.

Ashrich 21:12 08 Oct 2007

Two of the things that are dependant services are TCP/IP and Ancillary Function device driver for Winsock , maybe a Winsock and TCP/IP reset might help ..open a command prompt and type ...

netsh int ip reset reset.log , press enter , then ..netsh winsock reset catalog , press enter again , exit command and reboot , it just might help , and don't forget the " dot " between reset and log !

Ashley

mikegru 21:31 08 Oct 2007

Thanks, but it still won't connect. I also earlier tried running winsockfix.

ambra4 00:19 09 Oct 2007

Check this site

click here

mikegru 02:03 09 Oct 2007

Hi - All the items you mentioned were already checked. Still no connectivity.

newface 20:20 09 Oct 2007

Sometimes this happens to me using Linksys router and SpeedBooster. I get round it by right clicking the icon for the wireless connection and clicking on view available networks. Sometimes, but not always, I am asked to reconnect, but usually this seems to get it to connect.

newface 20:29 09 Oct 2007

Just a thought, have you tried going into the device manager, disabling and then re-enabling the device. Again this has worked for me in the past with Linksys router problems.

mikegru 21:02 09 Oct 2007

No, neither of those options worked either.

mgmcc 09:00 10 Oct 2007

Probably a bit obvious but have you actually run "System Restore" back to when it was working?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone