Acquiring Network Address

Deeleea 08:55 21 Feb 2006

Since taking delivery of a new laptop I'm having trouble with my DSL. I'm connecting via a DLink DSL 302g modem and the connection between that and my ISP is steady. I'm connecting via USB but I get the same problem if I try and connect via ethernet. The TCP/IP settings are set to get the IP address and DNS automatically. If I try to hardcode an IP address I lose the connection altogether...

I can use the same modem with no problems (either usb or ether) on the old computer but on the new one every few minutes the connecting icon will appear in the sys tray and the connection details display the error message above. All the settings in the new laptop seem to match the old!

I'm running out of ideas... anyone?

keewaa 15:57 21 Feb 2006

Virus or malware on the laptop, apply all windows updates, do manual windows upadte (start-programs-windows update and custom) to check if any hardware updates for PC, firmware or driver updates for the modem ? if AOL then Aol updates?

ade.h 18:03 21 Feb 2006

Given that USB adapters can be very inconsistent, you could try using it on the troublesome laptop without its software.

Follow the instructions in the last post of this thread click here

ade.h 18:05 21 Feb 2006

Might not cure it, since RJ45 isn't working either, but worth a go.

The other thing to do is tell us what s/w firewall you use - does it differ from the older laptop? - and how you have configured it.

Deeleea 03:18 25 Feb 2006

Sheesh... sorry for the delayed response, I've been using the gear at work rather than home... or just putting up with it till I had some time to explore further...

So, I have scanned everything using Norton Symantec Virus scan (whose definitions are totally up to date) and Windows Defender (equally up to date) and found nothing.

I have disabled the Firewall, and no change in the connection issue.

I have uninstalled the host software and uninstalled the driver from the provided cd. Actually, when I plugged the modem back in (to the USB port), apparently without the driver the connection was made, but it still drops out intermittently...

Any other ideas? The IP addresses are all controlled by DHCP and the lease time it gives out is only ever 1min long... I don't appear to be able to alter this at all through my isp's site... or through the modem's controls... I can't hard code the assigned IP address in because I can't change the subnet mask to match the one DHCP assigns... It appears the isp doesn't allow that...

The isp don't offer much in the way of support... as far as they are concerned I have a strong connection, the issue appears to be between the laptop and the modem...

keewaa 12:47 25 Feb 2006

When you allocated a static IP to the laptop, did you disable DHCP in the router, or check that the static IP allocated is outside the router DHCP pool ? The ISP shouldn't have any inpact on your settings for your LAN, they are seprate issues, maybe your confusing the IP assigned by the ISP and the IPs used for the LAN, they are seperate areas.

Use these commands at a command prompt (start-run-cmd) everytime you are trying a new setting until you get it sorted, in case there is an IP conflict between the USB & ethernet.

IPCONFIG /RELEASE
IPCONFIG /RENEW
IPCONFIG /FLUSHDNS

Deeleea 08:52 28 Feb 2006

The thing is it's only a modem not actually a router.

There is no DHCP provided by the modem at all, the DHCP is provided direct from the ISP, so the lP on the "lan" is assigned by my provider.

keewaa 10:01 28 Feb 2006

Sorry, misread it as a router, but worth trying these commands at a command prompt (start-run-cmd) in case there is an IP conflict between the USB & ethernet.

IPCONFIG /RELEASE
IPCONFIG /RENEW
IPCONFIG /FLUSHDNS

Is there any chance the ISP is somehow limiting the broadband to one computer only, and is able to detect the change ?

Are there any other adapters installed? (Type IPCONFIG /ALL at a command prompt)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?