Acqiring Network Address (but doesent)

Sparkly 09:23 01 Nov 2008

Morning all my laptop has decided not to connect to the internet (wireless) for the last couple of days,each time it i try the telly icon in the right hand side of the taskbar is moving a yellow dot back and forward saying Acqiring Network Address but never moves on from this, it has been playing up lately not connecting to the web sometimes it does and other times it doesent.
I have down loaded the latest drivers and software from the dell website and allso gone through the self help support to try and solve the problem each time it tells me to make sure Windows Zero Configeration service is running it is and set to auto but still no joy,allso when i click view available wireless networks when the Choose a wireless network box opens none are listed, i have tryed connecting hard wired and this still gives me Acqiring Network Address. I installed some Netgear software (WG111v2) and tryed with an adapter plugged into a usb port and this syed connected to my BT Hub signal strength is exellant but still the telly icon says Acqiring Network Address and still cant access the web the right wep key has been inputed any help or advice would be welcome.
Its a Dell Inspiron 1520
XP Home.

howard64 09:29 01 Nov 2008

it is either a firewall blocking or an incorrect password either ssid or actual. I think I would go back to your initial setup of your router and start again.

ashdav 10:02 01 Nov 2008

Try changing the channel your router is working on.
A neighbour may be using the same one causing interference.
A weak signal will also cause these symptons.
Change the channel by plugging your laptop into the LAN ports on the router.

Umbrella 10:25 01 Nov 2008

have you gone into your router and set up an access list. If you go into your router, wireless settings, setup access list, you will find the mac addresses for all the wireless usb's etc that can gain access to your router.
If not try going into the access list, put the mac address of your wireless usb into it, which should be found on one side of wireless usb, and try to connect after that.

Sparkly 10:28 01 Nov 2008

Hi howard64 i did think this about the firewall i did disable it and tryed but no change.

ashdav thanks will give thia a try.

kidsis 15:30 01 Nov 2008

if you are sure all the above advice does not work, you could try winsockfix.

Sparkly 16:46 01 Nov 2008

Hi kidsis and thankyou that has put things back to the way they were and up and running again.
You are the MAN....

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Android Oreo News: Release Date & New Features

Best Photo Editing Apps for iPad

iMac 21.5-inch (2017) review

Comparatif : quelle est la meilleure batterie externe 2017 ?