Acessing the web has slowed down dramatically

Repurr 16:27 12 Oct 2010

Windows Vista Home Premium SP2 Mozilla Firefox 5.0

For about a week accessing the internet via Mozilla takes over a minute (which is a long time!) form clicking the mozilla icon to the browser appearing.

Does anyone have any ideas or places to go to find what the problem could be?

All help appreciated.

Regards

R

northumbria61 16:45 12 Oct 2010

"Mozilla Firefox 5.0" - are you sure ?
The latest version is 3.6.10

From the Firefox homepage click on "Help" button and from the drop down list select "about Mozilla Firefox" - if it is not the latest then select the option above that "Check for Updates"

northumbria61 16:48 12 Oct 2010

You could also download and install Firefox "Preloader" from here click here

Repurr 16:56 12 Oct 2010

D'oh my mistake I have 3.6.10 Thanks

onthelimit 16:58 12 Oct 2010

Is your PC generally slow as well as internet access?

Repurr 17:48 12 Oct 2010

No my PC is working fine, it appears to be just when accessing the web, both on IE and Mozilla.

PC is a Acer Aspire T671 with 3gb RAM (I increased it late last year)

I have loaded Firefox Preloader as per an earlier thread which did not make a difference.

Thanks

R

lotvic 20:29 12 Oct 2010

Firefox has always had slow to start up and if you have a lot of Add-ons it will be slower still.

birdface 11:38 13 Oct 2010

Not sure if you have downloaded Ad-block Plus which should speed it up a bit.
As far as I know there is also an Ad-block Plus for I/E as well.

northumbria61 23:04 13 Oct 2010

Try this -
1. Put your Firefox shortcut onto you start menu. Easier way of doing this is if you have a shortcut on your desktop drag it onto you start button on your button left.

2. Right click on the shortcut in the start menu and then 'Properties'. Find the target section which should contain something similar [ "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" ] , add '/Prefetch:1' next to the address (without the inverted commas). SO the target box should contain what is in the square brackets as follows [ "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" /Prefetch:1 ]

northumbria61 23:13 13 Oct 2010

I should have said this worked for XP which I no longer use but don't know if it can be used in Vista for you.

woodchip 23:53 13 Oct 2010

Flock is just the Same using Firefox 3.0.16
But this may be down to it being a social Browser looking for Media when it starts up first in Flickr etc. u-tube

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Les meilleures tablettes 2017