Acer Wireless problem

Simsy 19:47 26 Feb 2011

Folks,

I recently "set up" a new laptop for a friend... an Acer Aspire 7551

About a week ago there was a problem, which I was able to rectify using system restore to about a week previously...

The problem has returned. It's a long way from me at the moment and I'm struggling..

The problem is/was that the wireless wasn't working... the light indicating that's it's "working", just above the keyboard, was orange, not blue... after a restore it was blue again and all well...

(Using the Fn and F2 key combinations brings up the indication on screen that it's on... but it isn't!)

I may have access to it later next week, but in the meantime I'd welcome any suggestions as to the likely issue... clutching at straws I realise!

Thanks in advance... I'll check back later.

Regards,

Simsy

VoG II 19:54 26 Feb 2011

Hi. There may be a switch or a Fn key that disables the wireless.

mgmcc 20:02 26 Feb 2011

Friend hasn't by any chance installed any Windows Updates that have screwed up the wireless networking?

Your System Restore might have reverted to before an update was installed. If the update has then been reinstalled automatically, the problem would have been reintroduced.

Simsy 20:23 26 Feb 2011

We've tried the Fn key combination... It indicates on screen that it's working... but it isn't.

The updates might be the cause... but I don't think so, because, after I'd "fixed" the problem a week or so back, by using system restore, I applied all the updates that were then needed... and it was still OK... so it wasn't one of those updates that did it...

Of course it may have been one since, but that would mean the problem has been caused by a different issue to previously, which seems unlikely I would have thought.

I posted originally in the vain hope that someone may have encountered this specifically on this make/model.

I await further input, and I'll post with any progress... though this wont be until next week!

Regards,

Simsy

rdave13 20:32 26 Feb 2011

Anything showing in device manager?

Simsy 21:51 26 Feb 2011

Yep... it looked OK there. Driver installed OK.

I'm going to get my hands on it for real on Tuesday. Hopefully I'll get to the bottom of it then.

Thanks,

Regards,

Simsy

Ashrich 22:34 26 Feb 2011

I think I'd be inclined to un-install it from device manager and then reboot and let the OS find it and automatically install the drivers again , another thing to look at is whether there is a program loaded to manage the wireless connections as well as / in opposition to whatever flavour of Windows your friend is using , they can often conflict .

Ashley

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone