acer travelmate factory settings

monkeyinaspasm 00:11 28 May 2008

hi all

my grandad bought an acer travelmate 2414 last june, and not had much luck in so much as internet and such like recently. he keeps getting the blue screen of death every time he logs on. The only thing i can think of to do is to restore it to factory settings and i have tried to use acer eRecovery but it does not work any way i try it. i tried the alt-F10 shortcut when starting up but it required a password, and the default password does not work and my grandad has never set a different password.

A friend of mine has the same exact model of laptop and lent me a recovery disk that he had made using his eRecovery, but the disk turned out to be scratched so my grandads laptop started restoring itself to factory settings, but not completely.

Now everytime i start the laptop up i cannot even get into dos, let alone windows, as there is an error message appears, saying that NTLDR is missing, and whenever i click any key to restar, the message reappears.

Now, i am quite experienced in computers, but i have no idea where to go from here - i just want to start again with it but i cannot do anything - help? please?

crosstrainer 06:38 28 May 2008

Go into the BIOS on boot up (I think it's F2 on that model)

An option to restore factory defaults should be available.

monkeyinaspasm 08:39 28 May 2008

the only option that i can see which is anything close is the "Load Setup Defaults", but as far as i can see there is no mention of factory settings - only other thing - an option to turn the Alt-F10 shortcut on during POST, which is enabled.

crosstrainer 08:53 28 May 2008

Did you make the backup DVD / CD set when you first had the laptop?

If not, setup defaults is all you can get...This will require return to an ACER dealer to re-install, repair your Windows installation I;m afraid.

Taff™ 09:07 28 May 2008

Wouldn`t a repair install with an XP/Vista Disc work?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 09:46 28 May 2008

NTLDR Missing click here

If you have FAT32 partitions, it is much simpler than with NTFS. Just boot with a Win98 floppy and copy the NTLDR or NTDETECT.COM files from the i386 directory to the root of the C:\ drive.

For NTFS:
Insert and boot from your Windows XP CD. At the first R=Repair option, press the R key Press the number that corresponds to the correct location for the installation of Windows you want to repair. Typically this will be #1 Enter in the administrator password when requested Enter in the following commands (X: is replaced by the actual drive letter that is assigned to the CD ROM drive) COPY X:\i386\NTLDR C\: COPY X:\i386\NTDETECT.COM C:\ Take out the CD ROM and type exit

monkeyinaspasm 09:53 28 May 2008

but i have neither a win98 floppy or an xp disk - i just have a laptop that does not work.

crosstrainer 12:17 28 May 2008

If you still have a warranty, the dealer should restore the system for you. If not, they will obviously charge you.

It's a great thing (hindsight) but ACER lappy's prompt you to create rescue DVD / CD's when first booted. If you had done so, you would be able to return your system to a working state.

monkeyinaspasm 15:01 28 May 2008

as i say - it was my grandads laptop - so i am trying to salvage the wreckage lol... and i have no money to spend on it - is there anything i can do or is it a lost cause?

thnx

crosstrainer 15:17 28 May 2008

Can you borrow an XP CD?

If so, set the BIOS to boot from it...This will not activate, as it's not the Laptop ACER partition, but It may let you access the drive and locate the ACER restore partition.

hiwatt 16:05 28 May 2008

What is it that requires a password?What happens when you select restore to factory settings?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?