Acer Travelmate 8471 freezing from hibernate

turn_it_bennett 19:37 03 Mar 2010

Hi there,

Hope somebody can help. I've had my Acer Travelmate 8471 for about 4 months now and have a constant problem with it freezing more often than not when it comes out of hibernate and sometimes when it's left idle. Out of hibernate I get a blank black screen and no cursor. From idle it freezes with the window that is current on the screen again no cursor (however it mostly happens from hibernate).

It happened with Vista and now when I upgraded Windows7. I've flashed newly released BIOS versions same problem and gone back to the old version again same problem. I read somewhere that it could be the wifi driver but I've checked my driver it is the latest version. I've called ACER but they told me to reinstall OS etc which I kind of did with the Windows 7 upgrade. The only way to get it working again is to force a restart with the power button sometimes several times a day - which can't be good for the system (just had to repair my pst file after the last forced reboot). I'm now really losing patience please help! Many thanks in advance. Chris

Technotiger 20:54 03 Mar 2010

Why use Hibernate if it is giving you so many problems?

I have never ever used Hibernate, or leave it idle and don't have problems!

During the day I leave it on, and I never use Screensavers they are just not needed with modern screens. When I have finished for the day, or if I am going out for any length of time, I switch the whole lot off!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Aardman's new YouTube channel to share the work of independent animators

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017