Acer Travelmate 4150 Stip down link required

Fried~Chips 21:14 04 Apr 2008

Friend has given me his broken Acer TravelMate 4150 Laptop which he says is only 2 or 3 years old running XP. Thing is its goofed, start it up and it powers of after a few seconds, fan on rear look spotless, tested HDD on my Vista Laptop it doesn't seem to pose the problem that this Acer Laptop has which is keeps cutting out.

So I am wanting to strip it down to see what I can find. Does anyone know if there are any Acer Strip down diagrams or relevent please.

Quiller. 21:31 04 Apr 2008

It's a 3 part rar file click here

Fried~Chips 21:42 04 Apr 2008

I will study it. I will post back when I got the info.

woodchip 21:48 04 Apr 2008

Have you tied booting it without the battery in?

Fried~Chips 21:52 04 Apr 2008

Have tried with no battery in, still cuts out. Got to try and boot it with no DVD drive in next but a screw is a pain to remove, looks like its worn and scredriver won't make a grip, may have to drill it out.

Ashrich 22:42 04 Apr 2008

Any chance that the screw is a star 6 or a Hex ?

Ashley

Fried~Chips 23:21 04 Apr 2008

just this one not possible to grip it.

anyoldfname 23:49 07 Apr 2008

Look at the posts holding the cooler on the CPU.. they are weak and pull away from the motherboard .. i have a work round to hold them in place without stripping the laptop down

Fried~Chips 01:15 08 Apr 2008

Sorted this, I didnt post as I had to put it all back together and check it worked. What I found was 2 of the 4 hsf fans over cpu were not into the motherboard, hence overheating and cut-out. The actual screws that were there were not long enough and I am surprised how it lasted so long.

So I rebored the holes in the mother board to take case standoffs and used them. Walla fixed the screws then nicely fitted in.

ekroverboy 17:51 17 Aug 2008

Hi There, i recently read a post on the problem you had with the laptop powering up and shutting down instantly. i have the exact same problem, ive basically had no hope of coming across a laptop for spares, but im interested in the way you repaired the laptop, is the anyway you could advise me on what you did in more detail, if this is possible can you email me at [email protected], your help will be much appreciated, thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?