Acer Timeline will not support Windows 7 upgrade

AlanPCA 20:31 10 Dec 2009

This is a warning based on my experience trying to upgrade an Acer 4810T Timeline from Vista to Windows 7.

(I have another forum entry with the sordid details)

I bought an Acer 4810T Timeline in November 2009 with Vista loaded at a discount. I registered it on the Acer web site and then ordered the "free" upgrade kit.

Despite the upgrade advertising, I found that when I installed Win 7 the DVD drive was no longer working. After several calls to the Acer help line, I was eventually told that this model is unable to run Win 7! No apology! I am told the same problem is found with the 5810T Timeline.

Has anyone had a similar experience?

Fortunately, I was able to exchange it at the store for a 4810TZ with Win 7 loaded.

mooly 07:14 11 Dec 2009

Lots here including dissapearing drive with W7
click here

Peterr98 21:38 13 Jan 2010

The windows 7 upgrade disk runs in 3 stages. The 1st and 2nd stage run successfully but the 3rd stage fails because it keeps looking for the cd/dvd drive which it cannot see. The reason for this failure is that the driver for the CD has been placed into the 3rd stage. This is a crucial error but not insurmountable.

1. Run the stages 1 and 2.
2. When you the process fails to find the CD/DVD start up your browser and find the Acer uk web site.

3. Select Service and Support from the horizontal menu

4. Select Drivers from the Vertical menu

6. Slect

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from Petya?

Illustrator Mariana Rodrigues' beautiful flora and fauna for Bombay Sapphire gin

How to remove Mac ransomware

Comment mettre à jour Kodi ?