acer problems

tonyt1151 10:56 27 Feb 2010

Hi I am trying to sort out various problems (slow,low memory messages etc) with my daughter's Acer3050 laptop. Looking at her harddrive it appears to be about 50gig split into 2 equal size partitions - C & D. C has about 2gig free and D has about 24gig free. I have seen other posts on PCA with similar themes which suggest using Acer erecovery. I have tried finding this on her laptop with no luck. clicking on erecovery management does nothing so I cant find how to do a re-install. She bought the laptop 2nd hand and it came loaded with Windows XP home (although there is a label on the underside giving an XP media centre product key). I would like to wipe everything and start afresh using my XP Home disc but am unsuer of the consequences of doing this. Also do we really need 2 partitions and if not how would I go about combining them to give just 1 ( which presumably would then be Drive C)

tonyt1151 11:08 27 Feb 2010

System info Summary

Manufacturer Acer, inc.
Product Name Aspire 3050
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition
Processor Mobile AMD Sempron(tm) Processor 3400+
Chipset ATI RS485MC/RX485 SB460
Wireless LAN Card Atheros AR5005G Wireless Network Adapter
Ethernet Card Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC
System Memory 1 GB
Video Memory 256 MB
Hard Drive 1 ST96812A,55.89 GB
CD/DVD Drive 1 MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ-850S
Video ATI Radeon Xpress 1100
Audio Realtek High Definition Audio
UUID 40B03E4C6991D811ABAB001636A10FF2
Serial Number LXAV10J02664604AD92511

tonyt1151 11:26 27 Feb 2010

Sorry realise now that XP media centre edition loaded although media centre doesn't appear to open

Sea Urchin 11:34 27 Feb 2010

One possibility:

click here

Or more likely by using Alt+F10 as here

click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:47 27 Feb 2010

Reckon your running out of space on C: no room for paging file (virtual memory)
Move it to the d: drive
click here

Use Cleaner click here to get rid of all the built up dross and uninstall programs you do not need.

You could also move data etc. to D:

Change the Default Location of the My Documents Folder
To change the default location of the My Documents folder, follow these steps:

1. Click Start, and then point to My Documents.
2. Right-click My Documents, and then click Properties.
3. Click the Target tab.
4. In the Target box, do one of the following:
* Type the path to the folder location that you want, and then click OK. For example, D:\My Stuff.

If the folder does not exist, the Create Message dialog box is displayed. Click Yes to create the folder, and then click OK.
-or-
* Click Move, click the folder in which to store your documents, and then click OK twice.

If you need to create a new folder, click Make New Folder. Type a name for the folder, and then click OK twice.

5. In the Move Documents box, click Yes to move your documents to the new location, or click No to leave your documents in the original location.

T0SH 18:14 27 Feb 2010

EASUS Partition Manager 3.5 Home Edition
is a free utility with which you can reduce the size of the D Partition and then add the unallocated space to the C Partition all without data loss, but to be absolutely sure make a full backup of the drive before you resize

Cheers HC

tonyt1151 09:25 28 Feb 2010

Thanks guys for all suggestions. will sift through them and see what happens

Tony

tonyt1151 19:00 28 Feb 2010

Sea Urchin
2nd option worked thanks

Fruit Bat
I presume moving documents to D will only move that one folder. How do I change the defualt location for any future software/program downloads to D to save me having to change location manually every time?

Tosh
Downloaded EASUS but found I can't make C any bigger. I can only reduce it and increase size of D hence my question above to Fruit Bat

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:30 28 Feb 2010

Do not accept default install routine when installing programs.

Click custom install and when it shows "will be installed to C:\program files\your program" then click browse and browse to D: drive and make a folder there for it to install to.

T0SH 20:32 28 Feb 2010

once EASUS is up and running first click on the D partition to highlight it then click on Resize Move in the toolbar in the window that opens next use the mouse pointer over the leftmost edge of D partition until you see the pointer change to (two vertical bars with left and right facing arrow heads) then left click drag to the right to mark some free space then click OK next highlight the C partition and again click on Resize Move in the window that opens you will see the C partition plus the now unallocated space you created from the D drive then use the mouse pointer on the right hand side to drag the over to add the free space to your C partition again click OK no changes to the drive will happen until you confirm your intent and then click on Apply in the toolbar the system will reboot and the changes will be made

Cheers HC

tonyt1151 20:01 03 Mar 2010

Tosh
Thanx for that info. i have now resized the partitions and cleared out a lot the c**p and everything seems a lot better.I have also downloaded ccleaner so we can keep it tidy.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?