ACER Laptops and VITA

oldsalt 17:03 03 Dec 2007

Hi,
I have a nearly new Acer laptop a 5100,2Gb Ram and 120gb HD enough? to run vista but ever since I put vista on Ive had compatibility problems with the laptops own software. Aer now wont answer my emails saying there is NO problem, however in the last 2 weeks I am being asked to register my laptop, this was done back in Feb 2007 when I bought it. also Boot.exe has stopped working also various other acer software just dont work anymore and tying to get updates from Acer is really a nogo unless you have weeks and months to waste.
Does anyone have any helpful suggestions apart from opening the window and using it as a frisbee.

anskyber 17:10 03 Dec 2007

Frisbees tend to fly better if they are round so with it being oblong perhaps that is not the best route.

You could try uninstalling any software from Acer you do not use or like and see if it helps. The other option is to type msconfig in the search pane at start and choose the startup tab from running the program which should appear on the list of answers.

Try stopping programs in turn to see if they are the offenders, be careful not to stop things you do not recognise.

Totally-braindead 17:13 03 Dec 2007

Don't use it as a frisbee as its about as aero dynamic as a brick and if it hits someone you might be sued.

As to your computer. When you say you registered back in Feb do you mean you registered it with XP?

They way I am reading it you got a laptop with XP and then installed Vista on it is that right?

If so then you will need to reregister the laptop with Vista.

Regarding the incompatability problems, did you do the upgrade yourself and if so once it was completed did you you reinstall the motherboard drivers this time using Vista compatible ones?

oldsalt 17:26 03 Dec 2007

Hi Guys, Many thanks for the suggestions. If I was supposed to reregister after installing vista why has it taken 10 months to finally come to light or is it that Acer is so crap a company its database is so stuffed its taken so long to come to the surface. I did buy the laptop with XP with the option of a free upgrade that actually cost £23. I did not reinstall the drivers using vista ones as no one said this had to be done AKA above comment.
I will try to de activate some of the Acer programs and get back to you with the results... if I am able.
Once again many thanks, by the way using old laptop to play jumpstones is interesting tho the enviromentalists would have a field day if they arent recoverable.Tsk Tsk.

Totally-braindead 17:31 03 Dec 2007

Please read this click here if you look you will see all the Vista drivers listed and note that it says" For a successful upgrade you need to download all of the available Vista Update files for your model."

Hope that helps. Somewhat.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone