ACER laptop wireless problems

welshdad 15:37 30 Nov 2009

I cannot get my new Acer laptop connected wirelessly. My PC works OK via a cable but the wireless modem is not seeing the laptop. Do I need any dongles or adaptors? Or am i missing something in the setup.

User-1229748 15:43 30 Nov 2009

modem or router?what operating system are you using?who provides your internet?

peter99co 15:47 30 Nov 2009

Look for Network Connections on the Control Panel

User-1229748 15:51 30 Nov 2009

what acer is it?is it wireless enabled?look in device manager under network adapters,is there a wireless card installed?if there is what router are you using?

welshdad 15:52 30 Nov 2009

AOL is the service provider, its their standard wireless router. Not sure what make as I'm not at home at the minute

User-1229748 15:53 30 Nov 2009

when you get home post back and i'm sure someone will advise :o)

Woolwell 17:04 30 Nov 2009

A new Acer laptop will be either Windows 7 or Vista and should have wireless built in. It will come with instructions as to how to activate the wireless connection. The next stage is that it should report that wireless networks have been found - you can check this by clicking on the 2 csreen conenction symbol in the system tray. You then insert your password/key and it should connect.
If the laptop isn't "seeing the modem" then it can be due to several things mainly modem not transmitting wireless, poor signal (due to distance or channel) or problems with the wireless part of the laptop.

mooly 17:46 30 Nov 2009

From "new" it should say networks found etc.

If you have been having a play make sure you haven't turned off the wireless card in any Acer power saving utilities etc.

There is probably a wireless "symbol" lit on the front or next to the keyboard if it's on.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?