acer laptop wireless problem

scotty 14:17 08 Dec 2010

I have a stubborn problem with an Acer 5040 laptop. It has stopped connecting to my wireless network when using Windows XP. Wireless works if I boot into Linux from a USB drive, so it is not a hardware failure.

Network shows up when I View Available Wireless Networks. Signal strength is OK but will not connect. Other computers connect without problem.

I have tried a number of things:
ipconfig /release;
ipconfig /renew;
ipconfig /flushdns;
Delete wireless connection from list and start over;
Run wireless wizzard on other computer and use USB to apply settings;
Disable ZoneAlarm firewall;
Disable wireless security;
Use USB wireless dongle in place of internal wireless;
System restore.

None of the above have helped me to connect using Windows. I am looking for suggestions for other things to try?

Chris_Byers 14:45 08 Dec 2010

Have you changed the security settings on the rounter to one that the laptop wireless card cannot 'see'. Is it possible you have updated the firmware recently as well?

scotty 15:07 08 Dec 2010

Thanks for suggestions.

Security was WPA and I tried changing to WEP and then none. Firmware of router has not been changed.

Chris_Byers 15:14 08 Dec 2010

Also, have you tried deleting the adaptorv from device manager and rebooting\reinstalling it? This may do a better job of clearing any faulty settings that you have currently done.

scotty 16:00 08 Dec 2010

Success, thanks.

I had tried deteting the adaptor previously but I tried again as you suggested. Only possible difference was I had a wired connection to router when I tried this time.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?