Acer laptop windows resource protection

al's left peg 17:12 06 Jan 2011

Hi Guys,

I have used the search facility to see if I can find a solution to a problem with an Acer Aspire 5735

The problem started with it getting past the boot stage and the desktop loading up. Once there though the laptop freezes and it will not respond to anything.
After looking at various threads in the helproom with similar freezing problems I have got it into safe mode and it works fine. However it will not allow "chkdsk" or disk defragmenter. If I run sfc /scannow it gets to about 78% then shows the following message:Resource protection could not perform the requested operation.
I have managed to download Glary utilities onto it and it found loads of registry faults and 8 start up errors but the problem remains.
it is running an Intel core 2 duo T5800 with 3gb DDR2 and 160Gb hard drive with well over 50% free space.
Any help greatly appreciatted.

northumbria61 17:16 06 Jan 2011

Take a read here click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:24 06 Jan 2011

One of the files windows is trying to replace is corrupt also the file windows wants to replace it with is corrupt or missing.

try
run error-checking for the C drive and selected
-Automatically fix file error
-Scan for bad sectors.

al's left peg 17:45 06 Jan 2011

Fruit Bat /\0/\,

how do I do the error checking you mention please?

Thanks Northumbria61, I will look through the link you have kindly provided for me.

Cheers Al

mooly 18:57 06 Jan 2011

Disk check,
click here

you will need to restart after selecting this option.

Also, and it seems a cop out but have you considered a reinstall. Once any reg cleaners have been used all bets are off.
Acers have a hidden partition that allows it to be returned to as it was on day one.

al's left peg 20:56 06 Jan 2011

Once again the helproom has rectified a problem that had me totally bamboozled!!!

Thanks to all guys, I carried out the first part of northumbria61's suggestion then followed Fruit Bat's instructions and it has put the laptop back in working order.

I will tick as resolved, and once again thanks very much to all.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

5 best 3D model websites

iPhone 8 vs iPhone X

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache